DIY Modern Rug

$40

Using rubber placemats with needle and thread, I created a unique and inexpensive rug for my living room.

diy modern rug

This project replaced another diy that just did nothing for the space design-wise and was difficult to keep clean.

diy modern rug

I saw these placemats at a local warehouse club and knew right away that they would be perfect as my rug. I bought four packs of 4 but ended up using only three packs (12 mats in all).

diy modern rug

I laid 4 mats on a surface, trying to create a symmetrical square-type shape in the middle. Using regular thread in a matching colour, with a large sewing needle, I stitched the mats together where they touched.

diy modern rug

Voila! This is how it turned out.

diy modern rug

I think it suits the space much better, and for less that US$40 and and hour of time, I think it was a bargain.

And, because the mats are rubber, I think this would make a great rug for an outdoor space as well.

I look forward to your feedback on this, my first, post and hopefully I will have more to share you soon.

Happy crafting!