DIY Modern Rug

$40

Using rubber placemats with needle and thread, I created a unique and inexpensive rug for my living room.

This project replaced another diy that just did nothing for the space design-wise and was difficult to keep clean.

I saw these placemats at a local warehouse club and knew right away that they would be perfect as my rug. I bought four packs of 4 but ended up using only three packs (12 mats in all).

I laid 4 mats on a surface, trying to create a symmetrical square-type shape in the middle. Using regular thread in a matching colour, with a large sewing needle, I stitched the mats together where they touched.

Voila! This is how it turned out.

I think it suits the space much better, and for less that US$40 and and hour of time, I think it was a bargain.

And, because the mats are rubber, I think this would make a great rug for an outdoor space as well.

I look forward to your feedback on this, my first, post and hopefully I will have more to share you soon.

Happy crafting!

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?

• JJ

I love it!! Its so different from anything I've seen and brilliant. Definitely adding to my list! I want to ask you about your couch though!! Did you make that?? Its a great looking piece and am all about building something similar with pallets for my basement cave.

• Kamille Huggins

I didn't make the couch...I inherited it when I moved in, however it is in two parts which I can push together to make a bed. My nieces love it when they visit. Also, the seats in each section has storage underneath which is always needed in small apartments.

• Joyce

My kitchen floor is a type of wood laminate that is not supposed to be cleaned with water (what else is there?) and it is starting to buckle. I want to get a linoleum kind of floor to replace it, but until then, can anyone think of a something to cover this stupid floor that can be washed? I was thinking about an outdoor rug, but I'm too messy.

• Sheila Ryan

The floor is buckling because it has gotten wet @ where each piece connects. There are wood laminate floor cleaners. Bona is one brand. Or mix white vinegar with a small amount of water in a spray bottle. Then using a floor dust mop, spray & wipe. Swiffer brand makes a product & mop to use on laminate. That’s why I hate laminate because it buckles. If you mop with a mop & water use a microfiber mop ( blue heads sold @ Walmart) & wring it out. And use hot water, it dries faster.If any water is left on floor dry with a towel.

• Nan

Gorgeous! How about cutti

ing out the small circles from the other spare mats and placing them in the middle between existing mats?