3 Vegetable Garden Trellis DIYs

$100

I was sick of our veggies rotting on the ground and after hours of scouring the internet without a solution, we decided to build our own structures. This is the before and after and behind the scenes of the 3 vegetable garden trellis DIYs that now proudly help our veggies grow to peak harvest! Here’s how you can make these vegetable garden trellises too!

3 vegetable garden trellis diys

When we first moved to the Homestead, the previous owners had a Bocce Ball court in the backyard. It didn’t take long before we ripped it down and turned it into a Victory Garden. Over the years, I’ve turned it into an  organic vegetable garden and we love our bountiful harvest every year.

Hubby Carter likes to work with his hands and is always up for a new project. When he saw how frustrated I was last year with the vegetables rotting on the ground before they came to harvest, he asked me if I wanted him to make some trellises.

3 vegetable garden trellis diys

I decided that I wanted 2 larger leaning trellises for cucumbers, zucchini and squash, and then a smaller A-frame one to compliment. Plus a vertical one for tomatoes.

Basically, all Carter did was measure the width of the garden, ask me how high I wanted the structures, and then did the math with how much wood to purchase.

The leaning trellises are two separate pieces – one is the foundation and the second is the leaning trellis. The A-frame was built with a hinge.

It was a bit time consuming, especially since Carter ended up making 4 different structures. But after he sketched out the measurements and purchased the wood, everything came together pretty easily.

3 vegetable garden trellis diys

Carter did the majority of the work himself, but he did have some help from Stepson and Daddy Bob.

Does anyone else get this same exact look from their child? Please tell me I’m not alone. Solidarity? Bueller?

3 vegetable garden trellis diys

The big debate was whether to add stain onto the wood or not. The pro is that the structures will last a lot longer. The con is that it could potentially leach into the food. As much as I try and keep an organic garden, I opted for the durability and we added the stain.

3 vegetable garden trellis diys

This is our first growing season with the new structures. I love them and they are working perfectly! The only thing I would change is maybe in the fall after the harvest for Carter to add a few more pieces of wood in the lower area to help the veggies get started with a better grip on climbing.

The best part is that I planned the trellis layout so that the climbers would grow on the south and sun-facing side, while the lettuce is growing in the shade. It’s a win-win for both plants and also gives us extra space!

Want more? Click the link and head over to the blog post to see the entire tutorial and more pictures. I would love for you to stop by and say hello and let me know what you think!

Holly Bertone | Pink Fortitude

• Jodeen

I’d love to see your garden layout for planting!!! I have such a hard time trying to figure out where to place all my plants

• Paula Carter Perry

I will soon be a beginner but won't that shade the rest of the plants a little too much?

• Angi

Not necessarily. That's where the planning & design come in. Not all Veggies like full & direct sun. There is a wonderful journal available at most Big box store, Home Improvement stores, & hobby outlets that assists beginners as they delve into gardening, whether veggies, flowerS or both. It provides grid pages forthe layout, pocket pages for seed packets, calendar pages to keep track of feeding, and lined pages to write notes such as observations, plans, Notes on why you do what you do, or don't LOL. some even have standard tips, measurement equivalents for lengths and Liquids, as well as growing seasons/Almanac info & links.

check it out on Amazon. I bought two simple versions at Target for mydaughters for Easter.

• Mike S

Doesn't the chemicals from the pressure treated wood leach into the ground?

• Shelley Judy

Yes! Usually just let cukes, peas, beans grow along fence, but this is Much better!! What do you spray to keep worms out of your cukes, I try to harvest before they get in them, but not always on time!

• Kathrina Crummer

Yes i will, thanks