DIY Faux Brick Arches

$20

Hi there! When we first looked at our home, the things I loved most were the parquet floors in the kitchen and entryways, as well as the arches in the front entryway/living room!

Entryway Arches

So good, right!? Those cutie little corbels match the corbels on our dining room fireplace mantel and I’ve added them in the kitchen over the sink too! Also, this was just one of the many shades of peach we had throughout the place! 😳

Paint

Naturally, the first thing I did was paint! I painted the whole room Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter, but felt it was missing something. After trying out the wall color on the arches and not loving that either, I decided the arches needed some texture and knew it had to be brick!

Tools and Materials

• cardboard
  • masking tape
  • putty knife
  • joint compound
  • paint (one color for the grout and one for the bricks)
  • white paint (if you want a whitewashed look like I did)
  • paint brushes

Create a Template and Tape off Your Design

Create a Template

I started my faux brick by cutting out a little piece of cardboard the same size of the bricks on my fireplace (8” L x 2.25” T) to use as my template. Using 1/2” masking tape, I went along and marked each end of my cardboard template with a piece of tape. You can really do any size and layout you want!

Cover with Joint Compound

Cover with Joint Compound

I used a 2” putty knife and covered the whole area I was bricking with about 1/8” of joint compound. I made sure I had good coverage over my tape - I didn’t want to see any lines or thin spots around the tape, so there would be dimension when I peeled the tape off. I also tried not to smooth the joint compound out very much.

Joint Compound

Let Dry a Bit

Let Dry a Bit

After I had all my joint compound spread, I waited about 5 - 10 minutes and then removed the tape.

Paint

Paint

Next, I painted the arches my wall color again, because this is the color I wanted my grout to be.

Add Brick Color

Add Brick Color

Then I lightly brushed each brick with my brick color - I chose Valspar Two Cents.

Whitewash

Whitewash

When that was dry, I dry brushed a super light layer of Sherwin Williams Alabaster over each brick to give it a white washed look. For more detailed videos of my painting process, visit my story highlights on my Instagram!

DIY Faux Brick Archway

Light Fixture

Once I had my arches looking good, I knew we had to change that amber light fixture. One project always leads to another around here. 😅

Faux Brick Archway

I think the faux brick really pulled the room together and totally goes with our all brick home! To see more of my home and DIYs, click here!

Homemade Faux Brick Archway
Whitewashed Faux Brick Archway

3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness/