DIY Faux Brick Arches

$20

Hi there! When we first looked at our home, the things I loved most were the parquet floors in the kitchen and entryways, as well as the arches in the front entryway/living room!

Entryway Arches

So good, right!? Those cutie little corbels match the corbels on our dining room fireplace mantel and I’ve added them in the kitchen over the sink too! Also, this was just one of the many shades of peach we had throughout the place! 😳

Paint

Naturally, the first thing I did was paint! I painted the whole room Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter, but felt it was missing something. After trying out the wall color on the arches and not loving that either, I decided the arches needed some texture and knew it had to be brick!

Tools and Materials

• cardboard
  • masking tape
  • putty knife
  • joint compound
  • paint (one color for the grout and one for the bricks)
  • white paint (if you want a whitewashed look like I did)
  • paint brushes

Create a Template and Tape off Your Design

Create a Template

I started my faux brick by cutting out a little piece of cardboard the same size of the bricks on my fireplace (8” L x 2.25” T) to use as my template. Using 1/2” masking tape, I went along and marked each end of my cardboard template with a piece of tape. You can really do any size and layout you want!

Cover with Joint Compound

Cover with Joint Compound

I used a 2” putty knife and covered the whole area I was bricking with about 1/8” of joint compound. I made sure I had good coverage over my tape - I didn’t want to see any lines or thin spots around the tape, so there would be dimension when I peeled the tape off. I also tried not to smooth the joint compound out very much.

Joint Compound

Let Dry a Bit

Let Dry a Bit

After I had all my joint compound spread, I waited about 5 - 10 minutes and then removed the tape.

Paint

Paint

Next, I painted the arches my wall color again, because this is the color I wanted my grout to be.

Add Brick Color

Add Brick Color

Then I lightly brushed each brick with my brick color - I chose Valspar Two Cents.

Whitewash

Whitewash

When that was dry, I dry brushed a super light layer of Sherwin Williams Alabaster over each brick to give it a white washed look. For more detailed videos of my painting process, visit my story highlights on my Instagram!

DIY Faux Brick Archway

Light Fixture

Once I had my arches looking good, I knew we had to change that amber light fixture. One project always leads to another around here. 😅

Faux Brick Archway

I think the faux brick really pulled the room together and totally goes with our all brick home! To see more of my home and DIYs, click here!

Homemade Faux Brick Archway
Whitewashed Faux Brick Archway

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/craftingupcuteness/

• Kristi H.

how long did you wait before pulling tape? I’m assuming it was still somewhat soft???

• Lou

In the article she mentions this:

• Jewellmartin

And I think I would wait at least an hour so the compound would be firmly in place, but, then, I’m not the one who created this beautiful faux brick work. Jewell

• Lana Hassell

Yes. Lou, when I first saw this, it did not have your answer showing until I clicked on "answer this". Guess they think we won't answer if someone else has already done so. Anyway, Kristi, Lou is definitely right. I will go a wee bit further and tell you that the picture above the sentence that Lou quotes has in very large black letters REMOVE TAPE. If you do go back and read it, I think you will see what she says about it. Have a marvelous day. 💖🌹😘

• Hi! I waited 5-10 minutes before pulling the tape. I didn't have any issues with more compound coming off than I wanted. Removing the tape this fast also gave me the chance to clean up any of my 'grout' lines where the compound seeped under my tape.

• Hope Williams

First, awesome job! I love the look and feel of what you created!

Secondly, your pup; I ask because he looks similar to mine and I’m not sure what breeds he is. (Neither is the vet.) we’ve been fighting for his life for a year now. My Kodi is only 1 1/2 now. I appreciate any help you are willing to give. Be Blessed.

• Thanks so much! I'm sorry to hear about your baby! I hope he gets well soon! He is so handsome!! Our guy is beagle and boxer and just turned 6 at the end of May.

• Susan QC

Just a note to let you know I'm praying for your Kodi.

• Hope Williams

Thank you so kindly. Blessings to you and yours.

• Hope Williams

Thank you so very kindly. Blessing to you and yours.

• Candice Birdsong Benson

Looks amazing!!!😁👍

• Lifestyles Homes

What was your consideration regarding tying in the dominant center column with the brick colors?

• Belinda Ayewoh

Well done! What is the color you used on your walls? It is a soft greyish, taupe?

• Carol

I think she said revere pewter. I love that color.

• Yes, it’s Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. It was a beige color in my old house but in this house it's a light gray, so I def think it depends on your lighting.

• Kathy Keuning

She said she used Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. It is a gray that takes on a faint greenish cast in certain light. I used it in our guest room. It is one of Benjamin Moore’s most popular colors. You can buy a small jar to try it in your room.

• Les1931396

Very cool idea - it looks great! I’m definitely going to try this!

• Kimberly

I love this idea! I’ve been toying with an idea like this but wasn’t sure how to go about doing it. I love a large river rock look with more of an organic feel to it; but he lines wouldn’t be straight like doing bricks. Any suggestions for how to tape those lines? Tia.

• Marilyn Mckinney

I wonder if you painted the wall the color you wanted the grout first...then get some styrofoam and cut them in the shapes you want the rocks to be and stamp them on the wall leaving the grout as you would like. Touch up the stamped areas with more compound or smooth them out like river rock...could be interesting. Never did it but i think it could.

• Robyn Garner

How about making your "rocks" out of Plaster of Paris and letting them dry on a flat table. Once hardened spray seal them or they are susceptible to damage from the moisture of the paint, etc. You could then glue them on the wall as you'll have a flat backside. Use painter's tape to keep them in place until they dry.

Now you'll have your texture and the grout lines will be formed by your shapes and where you glue them.

Use whatever color(s) you want to paint the stones. I suggest you look at pictures of stone walls so you have an idea of color.

• Neena

If you live anywhere near where you can get several thin pieces of slate and use them as templates, outlining each piece as you fit shapes like a puzzle, you would have your basic pattern layed. How to make your grout areas would not need to be as conformed at brick. So maybe thin rolls of modeling clay could make grout fill that could be gently scraped back up when dry. Haven't done this myself . . just liking your suggestion of designing a wall as river rock. Might try my own suggestion.

• Brooke | craftingupcuteness

Maybe you could buy one of those concrete stamps or possibly purchase a stencil? You could trace with a pencil and tape over the pencil lines or just spread the compound on, place stamp or stencil over and follow your lines with your finger to scrape off excess compound?

• Diane

How about spreading the compond and then go back with a dowel rod and scrape your lines?

• Diane

• Darkev

This is one of the best things I’ve seen! I even loved the “brick” in the white, without being painted! Thank you for sharing!

• Carol

I love this? Could you use this as a backsplash? If so, would you need to do anything differently?

• Lisa

Yes this can also be used as a backsplash, but you will need to seal it from moisture in order to protect it and not have it break down after time.

• Angel

I was thinking the exact same thing!

• Brooke | craftingupcuteness

You definitely can! You would probably just want to seal it with a water based poly to protect against splashes and constant cleaning.

• Suzanne Sasso Deane

Love this! Looks great but I think you should have done the finish on the underside of the arches also (and the other side too but maybe you did that?)

• Loretta

I love this! What a great idea! I especially like the idea of just slapping it on there. Projects that don’t require perfection are the ones I like! The pic that says “let it dry” I noticed the wall is spotted. Did you get carried away with slapping it on? LoL just kidding. Enjoy your day!

• Brooke | craftingupcuteness

Haha, no it just still had a couple wet spots when I took the photo.  I'm easily bored during projects, so I wait days before decided to get back to it!

• K. stay

You have a piece of trim in the center. Is it structural or decorative?

• Marianne

Why didn’t you continue with the column?

• Jan H. Wells

This looks awesome! The best faux brick I have seen yet!

• Joella

Why did you put masking tape?

• MarianMokki Robinson

Hi, that project is terrific. Did you do it on the entry side? Just curious.

• Lynette Stevens

This looks super. Just wondering if you have ever had to remove such a project?

• Kitty

If you are covering the whole area w joint compound after taping how do you see the tape to be able to peel it off?

• Brooke | craftingupcuteness

I had extra tape sticking out the sides and the bottom - once you start peeling, it will lead you to the other areas where the tape overlaps.

• Maggie

I was wondering what kind of trim did you used below the faux brick? The piece that goes on the arch itself? I've been looking for something that bends like that. I have arch doorways myself but regular trim is too stiff to make the curve. You did an awesome job!

• Brooke | craftingupcuteness

I'm not sure! It was there when we bought the house. It's really thin though, probably 1/8" and has fasteners from the bottom. Maybe the 1/8" plywood bends like that? You could certainly check it out!

• Debora Ross

You can get faux brick in beautiful wall paper. So less messy!

• Brenda Baker Naff

Did you do both sides in the faux brick?

• Kathleen Church

Did you do it on both sides?

• Kay

Love this look it's def. Me! I wondered if you know where to get the arch window on the wall or even better if there's a way to DIY one?

• Sherry Murdock

How durable is this after its complete. I’m wanting to do my kitchen walls in brick. Was considering contact paper but after seeing this I was thinking about doing it this way. What are your thoughts. It’s probably cheaper

• Coni

Do it!💜

• Mine is high enough that it doesn’t ever get touched but if you’re worried about that, then you could put a coat of poly on it. I think you would be safe as long as it has paint though!

• Mom06

Mine can’t even be scraped off. And I did it about 2 years ago. I also used joint compound. My hubby said the Sheetrock will have to be replaced should i want to change it down the road. Still love it so far ;).

• Laurie Sturm

How careful did you have to be when applying the joint compound over the tape. It looks like youbjust went at it, how did you actually find the ends of the tape to get it off

• Katherine

I have been saving all the faux brick projects that I see. I have probably saved about 25 of them. Hoping to do it one day In a few places in my home.

I kind of figured...when I was ready to start the project, that I would go through all the ones I saved and pick the one that I thought looked the most authentic without being crazy difficult. I gotta tell you though that now that I've seen yours with the final results and how you did it, not only do I think it's the best one I've seen, this far...as looking authentic as faux brick than others AND it actually doesn't seem that hard. After seeing yours, I don't need to figure out which one I like best anymore. Yours is the one I'm gonna choose...when I'm ready to take on this project. Thank you so much for sharing this!❤

I don't remember seeing if you sealed the project when you were done. Did you and if so what did you use to seal it?

• Thank you so much!!! I didn’t seal it. I just painted it. It’s not chalky it’s anything once you paint it. It’s as durable as any other painted wall.

• I love the amber light fixture. Would you like to sell it?

• Alicia Ranberg

I'm curious as to why you didn't do the columns in brick.

• Alicia Ranberg

I'm curious as to why you didn't do the columns brick too.