Marbled Candle Holders Using Nail Polish

$4

Using nail polish to create a marbled paint look is something I’ve wanted to try for a while to see how it works. I found a few candle holders in my stash that were good choices to try it out on. Marbled candle holders using nail polish were easy to make.

I found an assortment of candle holders in my stash that I often use for holiday decor. I chose two pedestal ones and a small vase like one. The small one was purchased a few years ago at the Dollar Tree. The crackled look it has was great for the marbled look of the nail polish. 

I wanted to give the candle holders a look that would go well with my coastal decor. I have an abundance of nail polish and these blue ones were all parts of packages that had other colors, too. Since I don’t wear blue polish, these had been stashed away in in craft room with a project like this in mind. 

Make sure that the container you use is large enough to fully immerse the item you want to marble. I tested a couple of small glass holders first before using the ones I chose for the project. 

• Fill container with water
  • Clean the candle holders with lint free cloth
  • Slowly pour one color of nail polish into the water
  • Add a second color of polish
  • Gently use a skewer to swirl the polish. A toothpick works well.
  • Dip the part of the glass that you want to marble into the water and quickly remove it.
  • Set the glass aside to dry.

The polish will float on top of the water. You’ll need to work quickly because I found that if I went too slowly, the polish would clump together. 

The crackled glass candle holder turned out better than the pedestal ones. I like that the dimensional look it has. To avoid getting the polish inside of the candle holder, immerse one side, pull it out, and rotate it. Then dip the other side into the water. If some gets inside, quickly wipe it away with a damp cloth. Don't use a paper towel, it will create a mess. 

This is one of the easiest crafts I’ve done. If you make them, you’ll see what I mean. Using some old nail polish and water, you can give glass candle holders or vases a new look.

If you love easy crafts, I hope you'll stop by Across the Blvd for some ideas!

Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd