How can I get rid of mint in a flower bed?

+5
  • Janet Hyde Schilhaneck Janet Hyde Schilhaneck on Jul 24, 2019

Clean synthetic flooring

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 24, 2019

Hi Fran: You can cut it back and make a mix of

1 gallon of white vinegar

2 cups of Epsom salts

1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is dissolved, mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy.

Put in a sprayer and spray the weeds liberally. Don't spray your flowers, only what you want to kill. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes, or they will die, too.

Mint is so invasive, and it travels by an extensive root system, so pulling won't help much. But, on the good side, it's really good to keep mosquitoes away! I have made a hedge of Lemon Mint, and so far this year, 2 mosquitoes in my yard:)

Good luck.

• Amanda Amanda on Jul 24, 2019

Hi Fran. It is a pain! I have fought one patch for over 2 years and finally this year it is gone. You have to dig it out. Mint has runner roots that new plants pop up off of. You have to get all of the roots. Keep at it and you'll get rid of it. Good Luck.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jul 24, 2019

Hey Fran,

It takes a while of digging it out to get rid of it, just a seems to be a never ending job, but when it is gone such a relief. I keep it in a pot and nothing has spread anywhere. All the shoots I give away I tell the recipients-put it in a pot! Best to you.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jul 26, 2019

Pull it out by the roots

• Luke Luke on Jul 26, 2019

fire\

• Susan Clements Brown Susan Clements Brown on Jul 26, 2019

My gardener used round up. Sadly effective! I've never forgiven him

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 30, 2019

I had some in my veggie garden years ago and I fought it every year to keep it from spreading, to no avail. The can have deep tap roots that help spread it all over. I found that only digging the unwanted plants up, roots and all was the only way. I didn't want to use roundup or vinegar around my veggies for fear of damaging the soil or veggie plants growing in those areas. I now only plant them in pots, lesson learned. You can always put the pots in the garden if you want it for pest control.