How do I get rid of fruit flies?

RedcatcecNancy TurnerEverything Pretty
+3

• Kathy DeStafino

1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tbsp water

a squirt of dish detergent

Take a 20 oz soda bottle, cut it 1/3 way down and unscrew top. Pour mixture in the bottom. Invert the top and place in the bottle. They will fly in and get trapped.

• Delicia Ambrosino

That's correct and sometimes I will even throw in a piece of banana peel or apple peel. It works. I use a soda bottle with a small hole burned in it and keep the cap on after filling. I then place it in a prominent fruit fly gathering place. My problem is grain moths. I bought a bag of parakeet food that had them in it. I learned really quick that foods such as pasta are fair game for them as well.

• Everything Pretty

I tried the traps, but they didn't work. I picked up a FlyLight and it works https://amzn.to/2YkGlNv

• Nancy Turner

A fly strip may be ugly hanging from the ceiling, but it really does help getting rid of them quicker. Make sure they aren't coming from your house plants. If they are, you need to repot them in New soil and dispose of the old soil in the garbage. Clean the pots real well to get rid of fungal spores (they are fungal gnats that breed in the soil), rinse them with vinegar and let sit a few minutes before rinsing out the vinegar. Gently rinse off the plant and roots in tepid water before repotting in the new soil. Put the attractant Kathy recommended near the affected plants to catch the gnats. Most gnats like to stick around moisture, so pour some boiling water down the sink drains to kill off the gnats that may be down there. Last time I had them I did that twice a day. Even if you have a covered garbage can, get rid of the garbage frequently, it doesn't give them food or a place to breed.

• Redcatcec

You need to get rid of the source, the eggs come in on the produce you bring into the house, so , when you do that you need to immediately wash the produce to remove the eggs and then refrigerate, with the exception of bananas-just wash and keep on the counter.

Next is the drain where the eggs are, for that you need 1/2 baking soda and 1 cup of white vinegar, when the fizzing stops rinse well with hot water, you may want to consider keeping your drain covered.

To get rid of the existing flies, you could use Kathy's recipe. that will work well. My go to method is to use a cardboard sticky pad from Walmart (in the pest control section-they are the ones for catching mice), peel off the plastic and leave open and flat. I put a small piece of sweet decaying fruit in the center of it and the fruit flies are attracted, they land on the sticky part never to be airborne again. Discard when you have no more flies. Once you have broken their cycle of eggs and flies, it is over. Best to you.