Split Pea Wreath With Burlap Bow

$20

Make a beautiful wreath with split peas from your local grocer!

I have a wreath addiction… it seems every time there is a new season, I need to create a new wreath. I have been wanting to make a split pea wreath for several years now and I decided this was the year I was going to make it! This wreath isn’t hard, but it does take several layers of modge podge and split peas to get an even finish. Lucky for you, I will be sharing the how-to’s and also final photos of my split pea wreath complete with a burlap bow. I love the green color in this wreath and it makes me think of Spring, when everything starts to bloom and the grass is the greenest of the year.

This wreath can be displayed plain on a shelf or wreath hook, or you can fancy it up with a burlap bow like I did.

You’ll need a round wreath (I used a hay one and modge podged right over the plastic wrap!), modge podge (a BIG jar, you’ll use a lot!), sponge brush, ribbon for a bow (I used burlap), the Bowdabra, a clear plastic shoe box, split peas (5-6 bags, they run $1 a piece in the dried soup/bean section of the grocery store) and a hot glue gun (if you are doing the bow).

You will pour your split peas (just a couple bags) into the clear show box container and then prop your wreath in the peas. Then, start adding the modge podge with a sponge brush on the wreath and cover the modge podge area with split peas. Let the area set for a minute before starting the next section on the wreath. The modge podge is ‘gluing’ these split peas to the wreath.

This is a tedious wreath to make and it will take you several layers of the modge podge and several days to let it set in-between layers. I would normally modge podge peas around the entire wreath, let it set for 3-4 hours and then do another layer. In the photo above, you’ll see what the wreath looked like after just one layer of modge podge and peas. Trust me, it will get fuller and fuller and eventually you’ll have a seamless split pea wreath. The peas fall off easier at first, but then after more and more layers of modge podge, they really start to stick to the wreath.

This is the wreath after 8 layers of split peas and modge podge! It is finally seamless and I can spray it with an acrylic spray such as Krylon to preserve it.

To create the bow, I cheated and used my large Bowdabra bow maker! I used a thicker plain burlap ribbon and a thinner burlap ribbon with white stripes.

Here is a close up of the bow after I finished it and hot glued it to the top of the wreath. I love using a thick and thin ribbon when making bows, I think it adds a little visual interest. I also added tails to hang down from the ribbon in the thinner ribbon.

And, because everything photographs better outside… I took the wreath outside for some photos under my tree. It is definitely a beauty!

These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

• Will Hudson

If you put it on your outside door and it rains what happens?

• Benjamin

Maybe the whole thing sprouts? Now that would be something none of the other neighbors have for sure...

• Shirley

Is there a "thick" version of Mod Podge? The extra thick Aleene's Tacky Glue would hold deeper layers, and more quickly. I would use a large cardboard flat and apply the peas in it with the wreath form lying as horizontal as possible, one side at a time, as well as the inner and outer curves.

• June

I love your idea,, could make it with both colours of dried peas I think as well.. My question is. When you put the bow on, Can you just use a wire to attach it or would that damage the pea design? Was just wondering so could change the bow for the season .

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I used hot glue to adhere the bow, BUT you could try looping a wire around it if you wanted to change out the bow. Great idea!

• Karen Weisbaum

If you hung this outdoors birds and other critters would love it.

• Shirley

Think about them eating ModPodge along with the peas. And rain would destroy it.

• Karen Weisbaum

I think I would use "spray adhesive" instead of Mod P.