Split Pea Wreath With Burlap Bow

$20

Make a beautiful wreath with split peas from your local grocer!

split pea wreath with burlap bow

I have a wreath addiction… it seems every time there is a new season, I need to create a new wreath. I have been wanting to make a split pea wreath for several years now and I decided this was the year I was going to make it! This wreath isn’t hard, but it does take several layers of modge podge and split peas to get an even finish. Lucky for you, I will be sharing the how-to’s and also final photos of my split pea wreath complete with a burlap bow. I love the green color in this wreath and it makes me think of Spring, when everything starts to bloom and the grass is the greenest of the year.

split pea wreath with burlap bow

This wreath can be displayed plain on a shelf or wreath hook, or you can fancy it up with a burlap bow like I did.

split pea wreath with burlap bow

You’ll need a round wreath (I used a hay one and modge podged right over the plastic wrap!), modge podge (a BIG jar, you’ll use a lot!), sponge brush, ribbon for a bow (I used burlap), the Bowdabra, a clear plastic shoe box, split peas (5-6 bags, they run $1 a piece in the dried soup/bean section of the grocery store) and a hot glue gun (if you are doing the bow).

split pea wreath with burlap bow

You will pour your split peas (just a couple bags) into the clear show box container and then prop your wreath in the peas. Then, start adding the modge podge with a sponge brush on the wreath and cover the modge podge area with split peas. Let the area set for a minute before starting the next section on the wreath. The modge podge is ‘gluing’ these split peas to the wreath.

split pea wreath with burlap bow

This is a tedious wreath to make and it will take you several layers of the modge podge and several days to let it set in-between layers. I would normally modge podge peas around the entire wreath, let it set for 3-4 hours and then do another layer. In the photo above, you’ll see what the wreath looked like after just one layer of modge podge and peas. Trust me, it will get fuller and fuller and eventually you’ll have a seamless split pea wreath. The peas fall off easier at first, but then after more and more layers of modge podge, they really start to stick to the wreath.

split pea wreath with burlap bow

This is the wreath after 8 layers of split peas and modge podge! It is finally seamless and I can spray it with an acrylic spray such as Krylon to preserve it.

split pea wreath with burlap bow

To create the bow, I cheated and used my large Bowdabra bow maker! I used a thicker plain burlap ribbon and a thinner burlap ribbon with white stripes.

split pea wreath with burlap bow

Here is a close up of the bow after I finished it and hot glued it to the top of the wreath. I love using a thick and thin ribbon when making bows, I think it adds a little visual interest. I also added tails to hang down from the ribbon in the thinner ribbon.

split pea wreath with burlap bow

And, because everything photographs better outside… I took the wreath outside for some photos under my tree. It is definitely a beauty!

Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

• Angi

Surprising to me, I really do like this wreath! I'm not a big wreath fan, althoughI LOVE looking at them on others' houses.

.There is, contrary to What another person stated, an Outdoor safe modge Podge. It's amazing! Had you always intended for the Wreath to be indoor only?

I have a similar wreath I inherited with my Very first house I bought, And Iwas wondering if it was fashioned with peas in mind. Are there white peas? My wreath also loses little balls off the sprigs here & there, but it's ok. still looks great. I like to hang it in the spring because it makes me think fresh, light, springy.

Thank you for this unique inspirational piece!💗🙏

• Shirley

Your "peas" may be styrofoam berries. Those are often part of artificial flower sprigs and arrangements, and look pretty good until they age or weather and start to split and fall off. As for making a wreath with "white peas," soybeans or black-eyed peas could be a good lighter colored substitute for split peas.

• Cynthia Green

After the first layer where do you apply the midge pod get and how do you keep the layers even?

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

You just keep applying the mod podge on top of each layer and it dries clear. You'll have to eye ball it while you apply it to make sure you're applying it on all sides evenly.

• Kathy

My question is: mod podging then dipping into the peas, doesn't some of the MP stay in the container and cause peas to clump together in the container? I do not see how this can really work, tho I would love for it to! I love the idea of changing out the color of bows -- burlap for fall, red for Christmas, Pink for spring, something for grass cutting in the summer!