How can I make padding for a baby's crib?

+7
  • On top of the mattress?

• William William on Jul 27, 2019

On side rails?

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Jul 27, 2019

Add foam inside a fabric sleeve.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Jul 27, 2019

Antoinette, this could be a really touchy subject. Many people are using a bare sheet to cover the mattress, and no side padding at all, for the safety of the baby. Of course, you can still buy whole bedding packages that remind me of King Louis XVI or someone else famous and rich. Pattern books often have plans for children’s bedding near the back. Whatever padding you buy or make, you want to make sure a baby can’t get his head or arm or leg behind or under the padding where the body part can get strangled. Be sure the bed itself meets the latest safest requirements, also. I hope you find a safe and beautiful option. Jewell

• User User on Jul 27, 2019

Your baby can suffocate

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! on Jul 28, 2019

Most experts are now discouraging crib padding because of the dangers of them getting tangled in it. But if your child is old enough and you still want it you can use some thick poly roll batting then create a casing for it with your fabric of choice. One long piece folded over the batting and a simple double folded over seam that you sew close to the edges of the batting should work fine. Sew strands of ribbon along the tio and bottom edges to act as ties to keep it in place. Personally I'd probably weave the batting in and out the rails of the crib to keep in safely in place but still provide some padding for the baby should they roll close the rails.

• Everything Pretty Everything Pretty on Jul 28, 2019

They aren't recommended any more.

• Bushra Bushra on Jul 28, 2019

Here is a good and helpful tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-yOnsDtwo

Hope it helps! Bushra

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Aug 02, 2019

I 100% would not make this. Crib bumpers increase the risk of SIDS and suffocation.