How can I repair my sink plumbing to get rid of terrible odors?

+6

Does anyone encounter a smelly kitchen sink? Mine is stainless steel - I do keep it clean, but sometimes it just stinks. Does anyone have any good ideas for sweeting the smell that I am guessing comes out of the drain? I've tried essential oils, and they do work but only for a short time. Does that smell just always hang around? I'm used to porcelain sinks and they don't have that smell. Is it the stainless steel or the drain? Thanks for your help!

• Virginia Rohde Virginia Rohde on Jul 27, 2019

Try vinger in drain & put plugs in for the day & run the garbage dispense before hand & add more vinger before you plug the sink.

• Chris Chris on Jul 27, 2019

no garbage disposal but I will give the vinegar a try. Thanks!

• Rebecca Taylor Rebecca Taylor on Jul 27, 2019

Hi Chris, Dump a good handful of baking soda into the drain, let sit (don't run any water) for 15 minutes, then pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup white vinegar down. Watch the bubbles, hear the pops and fizz, and let it sit for another 15 minutes. Flush with very hot not boiling water.

• William William on Jul 27, 2019

It's not the stainless steel. Probably the drain. If you have a garbage disposal that can be the source of odors. If the P trap is not holding water you can get a sewer smell

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Mar 31, 2021

i would use a quick rinse of chlorax or ammonia .. nothing will hurt stainless steel

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 31, 2021

do you have a double sink and garbage disposal or just a single sink