Hoop Orb Pendant Sconce

$30

Let me explain the problem to start us off. My fiance is a violent sleeper on occasion. He's a big guy, so nothing on his bedside table stands a chance when he gets to tossing and turning, arms flail, lamps fall, any nick-nack decor gets strewn across the room, so have figured out the predicament yet? Bedside lighting. I have a lamp on my side of the bed, but he has broken his so many times I have given up on traditional lamps. Wall sconces are often expensive and tend to need hard wiring, with our wedding rapidly approaching, in 6 short months, budget is tight, and electricians are a quite costly. Nothing is more harsh than waking up to the ceiling light first thing in the morning, so here is what I came up with...

hoop orb pendant sconce

Supplies: (for 2)

-Pendant lamp cords- I found mine on amazon for $14.99 for 2, they have 15 ft braided cords too which is great, for this tutorial you will need the braided cord in order to secure the cord to the orb, I'm sure there are other ways you could do it, but this was honestly so simple, and was such a happy surprise!!

-6 embroidery hoops- I chose 10 inch, I wanted them to be pretty beefy but still not too huge

-2 Edison bulbs - or any other decorative bulb of your choosing

-Upholstery Nails- 1 pack of 20 was all i used

-Wood glue ( or any other type of strong hold glue you have on hand would probably be fine)

-Wood stain/Paint in color of choice

-Wall bracket (I got one from the dollar tree that is used to hang plants, I will have a tutorial coming out soon on how to make a chunkier wooden bracket, but this was my solution until that happens and it looks pretty nice!)

hoop orb pendant sconce

Stain or paint all your hoops, trust me, you want to do this first, I didn't with the first one and made and kicked myself for not thinking to do this first as I was trying to get stain into and out of all the little joints, such a hassle, so do yourself a favor, start with that first. I used Varathayne in Carrington for mine, its a nice rich brown that really pops with my white bedroom furniture (Tutorial coming soon on these night stands I refinished last week!) Once your paint of choice has dried, its time to start figuring out your arrangement with the hoops, you can really do this any way you like, but i opted for a more symmetrical orbital affect. You want to attempt to keep the metal brackets together and at the top as these will be how the cord is supported in the center of the pendant. I used 5 rings, so 2.5 hoop sets. 2 of the outer and 3 of the inner hoops, that last outer hoop will come in handy in a project I will post for you all real soon!

hoop orb pendant sconce

Once you have the basic layout figured out, place a small amount of glue on the joint where the 2 rings meet, then carefully ( I repeat carefully! I stabbed myself with a rogue nail with my first attempt... I'm amazed I have all of my digits still with as clumsy as I am!) place a nail on each of the joints, this will add a nice metal aspect to the final result! Make sure to clean up any glue that squeezes out before it dries, I needed to clamp some of mine in addition to the nail to hold it all together while the glue dried. I ended up pre-drilling the holes for the nail heads, and i wish I was more organized with my drill bits and could tell you the size, but I just grabbed one from my tool box that was about the same size as the nail... photo below....

hoop orb pendant sconce
hoop orb pendant sconce

Now, sit back and relax while your glue dries.....

Once the glue has dried (I let mine dry a few hours in the heat of the Georgia sun and we were good to go, but its always a good idea to follow the manufacturers directions) its time to attach the pendant light cord! So the cord on the set I got was braided, its also covered in fabric, I chose it for the decorative aspect it would bring with this light havinig an exposed cord, but it really came in handy while attaching the shade to the cord. I gently seperated the metal brackets at the top of the orb, positioned the light in the middle of the orb where i liked it, then very carefully pulled the two sides of the cord apart and screwed the screw back through the bracket. I did the same thing for the opposing bracket just so it was nice and secure! And thats it! Now all thats left if to mount the bracket and hang this little fella!

hoop orb pendant sconce
hoop orb pendant sconce
hoop orb pendant sconce

hoop orb pendant sconce

Mount the bracket of choice on the wall, follow the directions that come with your bracket, mine didn't come with any since it was from the dollar tree, it did however come with 2 screws. I plan on replacing this fairly soon any how, so I just screwed it directly into the drywall. You might want to use an anchor if you opt to use these brackets permanantly. I didn't see the need to find a stud since this little lamp weighs hardly anything, if your renting you could probably even hang this off the ceiling with a command hook made for Christmas lights (assuming your cord is long enough to reach...)

hoop orb pendant sconce

Once your bracket is mounted adjust your lamp to the ideal height for your decor, and you my friend, are done!

I hope you liked this tutorial! I plan on posting another tutorial on how I build the bracket next few weeks, so keep eyes open for that!

hoop orb pendant sconce

If you enjoyed this tutorial and build one of these cuties for yourself, I would love to see it! Tag me on Instagram @Redsrusticworkshop and follow me there for project sneak peaks!