A Box for the Cat Box

$20

Hi Hometalkers, Brittany from by Brittany Goldwyn here—your resident cat loving DIYer! This is a bit of a weird project to share. I love my kitties, but one of them is a bit special, and she sometimes...misses the pan. I have watched her get in the pan—I mean all the way in the pan!—and still "miss." Our vet says she is fine and that we should get something with higher sides.

I didn't want to replace their pans because I love the Breeze litter system. And I know there are a lot of cat lovers on here, so I'm guessing some of you may have had this problem at some point or another. So I kept the litter system we loved and added a box for the cat box! Here's how the litter box looked before:

You'd think the raised sides would be helpful, but our Blanche had some urinary crystal issues earlier this year. Ever since then, she has occasionally had some problems missing the mark in the pan. It was fine to clean up after every now and then, especially because we have easily wipeable peel-and-stick vinyl flooring in this closet, but we needed a solution that would shield everything else in the closet. So we did this.

First, we bought storage bins from Lowe's that were big enough to fit the cat pans. Second, we took a razor blade and carefully cut out the entire front of the storage bins. We originally wanted to use a jigsaw, but it would have left a ragged edge. The razor took longer, but it looks soo much cleaner!

To finish up, we just set the pan in the box. What do you think of this solution? We have two cats, so we have two cat boxes. So we bought two storage totes for this solution. Even though our special kitty usually only uses one of the boxes, we wanted to make sure we had all bases covered. Each bin only cost about $10.

If you love kitties, check out my DIY cat tree using real branches, and check out my blog linked by my picture below for lots of great DIYs!

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
By Brittany Goldwyn