How to Bulild a Storage Chest

$50
Advanced

Hi, I'm Amber Oliver! I hope if you enjoy this project you'll also stop by my blog!

Build a DIY storage chest using a single sheet of plywood and a 2×4! The perfect place to keep extra blankets, shoes, and more.

how to bulild a storage chest

how to bulild a storage chest

1. Cut 2x4's to build the base. Two are 48 inches and 2 are 18 inches (mitered in the corners). Assemble with pocket holes on the bottom.

2. Build the box for your storage chest. The front and back are 45" wide x 18" tall and the sides are 15" deep x 18" tall. Add pocket holes on the sides with the Kreg Jig.

how to bulild a storage chest

how to bulild a storage chest

how to bulild a storage chest

3. Assemble the box, screw the side pieces into the front and back pieces. The sides connect into the front and back.

4. The bottom of the box is 44" x 15" and is attached inside with pocket holes. The front of the box covers the sides of the bottom piece. To assemble, drop the bottom inside the box and attach with the pocket hole screws into the sides and back of the box. Attach to the base with a nail gun or screws.

how to bulild a storage chest

5. The trim is added around the top of the box, right under the lid. The trim pieces are only on the front and sides. The front piece is 48" x .75" and covers the front of the box and overhangs on either side. The side pieces are 16" x 1.5" and go along the sides. These are attached with wood glue and no screw holes needed

how to bulild a storage chest

6. The lid is 48" x 16.5" with piano hinges on the back. It's attached on the top of the box.

This DIY storage chest is built using a single sheet of Purebond plywood.

how to bulild a storage chest

how to bulild a storage chest

how to bulild a storage chest

how to bulild a storage chest

If you enjoyed this project, please visit my DIY archives for more project inspiration!

Amber Oliver

• Gail Flory

Anyone can buy it no one can build the love into it I see it as a hand me down just like the one my grandpa built my mom now my sister has it but I would have loved it much more than a store bought one

• Lynn

In the old days we called this a Hope Chest! My father in-law built me one when my hubs and I got engaged. Lined with cedar. Can’t get rid of it and it is 45 yrs old!!