How to Bulild a Storage Chest

$50
Advanced

Hi, I'm Amber Oliver! I hope if you enjoy this project you'll also stop by my blog!

Build a DIY storage chest using a single sheet of plywood and a 2×4! The perfect place to keep extra blankets, shoes, and more.

1. Cut 2x4's to build the base. Two are 48 inches and 2 are 18 inches (mitered in the corners). Assemble with pocket holes on the bottom.

2. Build the box for your storage chest. The front and back are 45" wide x 18" tall and the sides are 15" deep x 18" tall. Add pocket holes on the sides with the Kreg Jig.

3. Assemble the box, screw the side pieces into the front and back pieces. The sides connect into the front and back.

4. The bottom of the box is 44" x 15" and is attached inside with pocket holes. The front of the box covers the sides of the bottom piece. To assemble, drop the bottom inside the box and attach with the pocket hole screws into the sides and back of the box. Attach to the base with a nail gun or screws.

5. The trim is added around the top of the box, right under the lid. The trim pieces are only on the front and sides. The front piece is 48" x .75" and covers the front of the box and overhangs on either side. The side pieces are 16" x 1.5" and go along the sides. These are attached with wood glue and no screw holes needed

6. The lid is 48" x 16.5" with piano hinges on the back. It's attached on the top of the box.

This DIY storage chest is built using a single sheet of Purebond plywood.

If you enjoyed this project, please visit my DIY archives for more project inspiration!

Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Amber Oliver

• Lynn

In the old days we called this a Hope Chest! My father in-law built me one when my hubs and I got engaged. Lined with cedar. Can’t get rid of it and it is 45 yrs old!!

• Laura

Nice job. Wish I could do that.