Shabby Paints
Shabby Paints
  • Springfield, TN

Got Farmhouse Dreams on a Shack Budget?

$150

Well, I do and let me tell you over the years I’ve enjoyed my thrifty flips. Yeap I’m that girl that gets a compliment about a purse or shoes and screams out how much I paid for it. I’m not very competitive when it comes to sports, but I will work hard to make it or build it cheaper. 😊 We installed real shiplap in our bathroom and I love it, but when you don't have the money for your next project a girl does what she has to.This look was created by using inexpensive underlayment boards cut to look just like shiplap. I did this 100% solo, ladies! If you have the help that is great, but if I can do it solo so can you!

got farmhouse dreams on a shack budget

Before

Home depot underlayment. Around 11.00 a sheet.

What you'll need

Tools

Nail Gun, Chop Saw or Circular saw, Safety Goggles, 4 ft. Level, Pencil, Stud Finder.

Supplies

Underlayment Board cut into planks. (Home Depot was the only local place that would cut them for me.)

2” nails

Your Favorite Shabby Paints Color. I used Snow White

Cost Under $150.00 for a 12×12 room.

got farmhouse dreams on a shack budget

Install

Tip

Since I was doing this project solo, I used a chop saw to cut all my boards in 4-foot pieces so they would be more manageable.

Prep

Mark your studs. A good stud finder is needed to make sure your planks are secure. Use your level and pencil to mark your studs from floor to ceiling.

I started at the ceiling so the new baseboards could hide any gaps.

Install

I started at the ceiling. I did this because I knew that our ceiling or floor wouldn’t be perfectly straight and if we had any type of gap at the end the baseboards would hide it. If you are installing crown molding you can start at the floor and work up.

Using my level, I held up my first board and nailed it with my nail gun. I did one row all the way across one wall. The final board had to be cut to fit. Save the leftover from that cut to use as your first board on the second row. This staggers the boards. When doing the next row I used nickels as spacers.

got farmhouse dreams on a shack budget

Tip 2

I recommend measuring and verifying that you will not end up having to cut the last board less than ½ of the board’s width. If it measures out that you would, I would rip the first board to make it end right.

Tip 3

A cordless Ryobi jigsaw is great for cutting around light switches and plugs.

Tip 4

If you are doing this solo, sterilize the nickles because you will probably need to use your mouth to hold them lol.

got farmhouse dreams on a shack budget

Ready for paint

Painted with Shabby Paints Snow White
Painted with Shabby Paints Snow White

Paint

The easiest part of this entire project was painting. I used a roller to apply two coats of Shabby Paints Snow White and occasionally used a screwdriver to clean paint out of the gaps.

2 coats of Chalk-Acrylic Paint
2 coats of Chalk-Acrylic Paint

Paint

You can find the textured ceiling cover up here: https://www.shabbypaints.com/farmhouse-inspired-ceiling-makeover/

Faux shiplap. Cost under $150.00
Faux shiplap. Cost under $150.00

AFTER!

got farmhouse dreams on a shack budget

Before and after. DIY shiplap

got farmhouse dreams on a shack budget

• Shabby Paints Snow White  (https://www.shabbypaints.com/shop)
  • Underlayment  (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tri-PLY-Underlayment-Common-5-0-mm-x-4-ft-)

To see more: https://www.shabbypaints.com/budget-friendly-shiplap/

• Jose Segura

What do you mean Home Depot cit it to planks.

• Shabby Paints

I had to call several stores to find someone that would do it and someone that could make cuts smaller than 12". They have different set ups.

• Linnie

Where did you find "nautical" light fixture?

• Shabby Paints

Linnie, I made it. It's a metal tractor rim textured and stained then a glass pendant from Lowes.

• Patti Rueth

Love what the final results are but one question about your ceiling.... in one picture it looked like planked wood and the final it’s blue and doesn’t look planked... illusion ??? Also what color is the blue ???

• Angie

I love this. I follow you because it gives me idea's. You always inspire me. Thanks for sharing.

• Millies_mom47

This is exactly what I want to do in my livingroom but just to one wall. The people who lived here before had wallpaper on the wall and instead of removing the wallpaper they painted over it. Sadly in a few places you can see where the wallpaper had been pealed so there's spots that show up really bad. We are planning on painting the whole house but this room is going to be a challenge. So instead of trying to pull the painted wallpaper off we decided to put shiplap up and then paint it with the new paint. My really BIG problem is this wall has a vaulted ceiling with a beam running from it across the ceiling to another wall that we aren't going to do any fancy finish to cuz it's perfect no damage just needs paint. Where do I start the shiplap? At the top or the bottom or where the wall starts vaulting? HELP!