Got Farmhouse Dreams on a Shack Budget?

$150

Well, I do and let me tell you over the years I’ve enjoyed my thrifty flips. Yeap I’m that girl that gets a compliment about a purse or shoes and screams out how much I paid for it. I’m not very competitive when it comes to sports, but I will work hard to make it or build it cheaper. 😊 We installed real shiplap in our bathroom and I love it, but when you don't have the money for your next project a girl does what she has to.This look was created by using inexpensive underlayment boards cut to look just like shiplap. I did this 100% solo, ladies! If you have the help that is great, but if I can do it solo so can you!

Before

Home depot underlayment. Around 11.00 a sheet.

What you'll need

Tools

Nail Gun, Chop Saw or Circular saw, Safety Goggles, 4 ft. Level, Pencil, Stud Finder.

Supplies

Underlayment Board cut into planks. (Home Depot was the only local place that would cut them for me.)

2” nails

Your Favorite Shabby Paints Color. I used Snow White

Cost Under $150.00 for a 12×12 room.

Install

Tip

Since I was doing this project solo, I used a chop saw to cut all my boards in 4-foot pieces so they would be more manageable.

Prep

Mark your studs. A good stud finder is needed to make sure your planks are secure. Use your level and pencil to mark your studs from floor to ceiling.

I started at the ceiling so the new baseboards could hide any gaps.

Install

I started at the ceiling. I did this because I knew that our ceiling or floor wouldn’t be perfectly straight and if we had any type of gap at the end the baseboards would hide it. If you are installing crown molding you can start at the floor and work up.

Using my level, I held up my first board and nailed it with my nail gun. I did one row all the way across one wall. The final board had to be cut to fit. Save the leftover from that cut to use as your first board on the second row. This staggers the boards. When doing the next row I used nickels as spacers.

Tip 2

I recommend measuring and verifying that you will not end up having to cut the last board less than ½ of the board’s width. If it measures out that you would, I would rip the first board to make it end right.

Tip 3

A cordless Ryobi jigsaw is great for cutting around light switches and plugs.

Tip 4

If you are doing this solo, sterilize the nickles because you will probably need to use your mouth to hold them lol.

Ready for paint

Painted with Shabby Paints Snow White

Paint

The easiest part of this entire project was painting. I used a roller to apply two coats of Shabby Paints Snow White and occasionally used a screwdriver to clean paint out of the gaps.

2 coats of Chalk-Acrylic Paint

Paint

You can find the textured ceiling cover up here: https://www.shabbypaints.com/farmhouse-inspired-ceiling-makeover/

Faux shiplap. Cost under $150.00

AFTER!

Before and after. DIY shiplap

3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames

To see more: https://www.shabbypaints.com/budget-friendly-shiplap/

• Anne

You did a fabulous job! I wouldn't even think to switch the walls & ceiling finishes but it worked perfectly for you!! Congratulations! Be proud of yourself.

• Kathy

Great job !