$62 DIY Kitchen Cabinet Makeover - Chalk Painted

$62

Make over your kitchen with just $62 in paint and a paint brush! You can read the full post on my blog! https://www.themakersmap.com/kitchencabinets

👇👇👇👇

The back splash post is on hometalk now too See it at https://www.hometalk.com/43680369/100-diy-subway-tile-back-splash-kitchen-project

62 diy kitchen cabinet makeover chalk painted

Totally transform your kitchen in 1 weekend with a little paint and a paintbrush! I show you how on my blog!

Before: My cabinets were a builder grade solid wood chocolate color. All we did was clean our cabinets really good with Sprayway Glass cleaner using a t-shirt rag.

Before we took the doors off we used removable tabs by 3M to label our doors and drawers, then we removed the cabinet doors and left the hinges on the door part. We didnt remove the hinges

We put a twin fitted sheet over our farmhouse table and we painted the doors there. this shows them upside down where you can see the labels

I used the Color Fluff for my cabinets. This paint is by Dixie Belle it is by far my very favorite paint and I think you will like it too.

I used 2 full 32 ounce containers for my kitchen.

I did use some frog tape to tape off my floor and the counter area.

We did not empty out our cabinets

This is one coat, some areas were difficult but we painted right over them and used 3 coats total. We did not sand in between!

You can use clorox wipes but I still prefer Sprayway Glass Cleaner when I clean all my furniture and for this kitchen makeover project

After: My kitchen looks totally different. After we finished painting the cabinets, we put the doors back on and added 1 coat of waverly wax to the doors.

After Read full post on my blog

AFTER! Read the full post on my blog! for more details and a fun story about this whole project!

Back splash how to can be seen at

https://www.hometalk.com/43680369/100-diy-subway-tile-back-splash-kitchen-project

Amber Strong

• Babs

Did you paint the insides of the cabinet doors?

• Ccr28802304

what kind of brush used and direction used by that brush?

• Jennifer Mckinley

It looks SOOOO MUCH BETTER. Bigger, brighter, rustic yet more modern than the dark. I absolutely love this. Ours are very similar but already painted with regular white paint. I'm putting up brick wallpaper but want to repaint the cabinets. One thing I'd like to know is have you had less issues or more with lighter colored cabinets showing food or dirt almost daily? I dunno if I wanna use chalk paint if it gets dirtier faster than my already glossy white paint. Easy to wipe off with a sponge but pain in the butt with the light color. Dows chalk paint seem easier or harder to clean regarding cabinets? For anyone to answer...I like the chalk look and texture but worried it will get still or worse dirty.🤯

• Cal4347546

I put the chalk paint matte polycrylic over top. It wipes off well.

• Mia Lugar

Is that another [paint or a sealer? Yep, that would be good info to include. I sure would imagine chalk paint would absorb stains easily.

• Robin

I have debated the same thing. I have used chalk paint for furniture, and real cabinet paint for cabinets. Im not really into the “ distressed” on purpose look, so will stick to cabinet paint to keep it cleaner. If you're going for the distressed look, the dirt may not be as noticeable, but how it holds up to cleaning maybe depends on what you seal it with....wax or poly.....

• Amber Strong

I simply use soap and water to clean.

• Jean

the Materials needed list sand paper. Did you sand paper before painting?

• Judy

anytime you paint you need to sand before and in between coats if you want your paint to adhere properly. You'll be glad you did!

• Amber Strong

With Dixie Belle no. You do not need to sand first.

• Sarah Catherine

It looks like you also added a new backsplash?

• Wandamurline

Where did you get the subway tile backsplash?

• Eileen

I have a plastic coating on my cabinets. I don't remember what they called these cabinets but apparently, this was a fad some 20 years ago. The only problem is, the cabinets next to the dishwasher, stove, oven and microwave are melted and crunched up and other parts of the cabinet are lifting away from the wood itself. What would you attempt to fix this problem outside of taking the plastic part off the cabinets?

• Elizabeth Cornett

We had the same issue. We used a heat gun and just removed the laminate then had them painted. They looked beautiful. Plus it was fun getting the laminate off with the heat gun.

• Cathy Ausserer

I actually did that to mine and it really did not take that long and was not difficult. Then I painted them. It was still that way when we sold our house a few years later and they still looked great (e even up close)!

• Sheryll S

I have the same trouble. Mine came with the house & they are awful. Even my coffee maker melted them! Scream!

• Isa13480186

Was there sanding of the cabinets at all ?

• Cathy Ausserer

You don’t need to sand with chalk paint (that’s the beauty of it). Be sure to clean them first though to get the kitchen grime off.

• Amber Strong

Nope just the paint to smooth

• Trish

My cabinets have been painted with a regular paint product. I assume Enamel of some sort. What prep do you suggest to do this project? They are chocolate brown and I want to lighten them.

• Marsha

Been wanting to do this for the last 5 years, but didn't think I could do it alone. You made it look very easy! What mad you choose chalk paint over any other paint is my only question?

• Amber Strong

I love Dixie Belle! It's durable and in my experience will out last any other paints.

• Jeanne

When did you use the sanding sponge? I don’t see it in your write up.

• Suz

I was wondering the same thing. Someone had told me to lightly sand before applying the paint so it would adhere better!

• Maria

Hello. I too was curious about that but looks like she wants us to read her blog for full details, I read it but still did not read anything about sanding, she just writes after prepping and such. You can read her blog it's at the bottom, maybe I missed it. Have a good day.

• Terri

Clean surface well and sand to get rid any grease or dirt. otherwise paint wn"t adhere well i'm guessing.

• Sexyboi8428

Is the Waverly Wax necessary?

• Amber Strong

For me yes to seal them.

• Amber Strong

I use the sanding sponges to smooth paint once dry

• Jigjog

The back splash made a big difference too so what did you use for that?

• HFredda

Jigjog:

The large backsplash area by the appliances remained white tile.

Behibd the sink area, it appears to be a brown horizontal area the same material (granite?) that was painted white. Is that the area you are referring to? If so, did Amber use the Dixie Belle?

• Amber Strong

Mini subway tiles from Lowe's

• Patricia Amos Denney

I Keep wanting to redo our kitchen cabinets, which are knotty pine. I am not a spring chicken and really have no one to help me, except my hubby, if I could talk him into it. I am 78 and he is 81! I see that your hinges are on the inside of the door. Ours are on the outside and would have to be removed, as would the handles, which are old fashioned ones like those used in ranch homes in the mid 70's when this house was built. Anyone have suggestions on how to spiff up cabinets like these? I would tear them out and put in new ones but that would seem counter productive for a house this age. That would call for remodeling the entire house and we cannot do that.

• Cheryl

This is just a suggestion if you use chalk paint you shouldn’t necessarily have to remove the cabinet doors. I have seen some people paint right over the hinges the same color as the door to try to make them blend in. If you want to keep the color of the hinges tape them up really well and just be really careful when you paint that area. Sometimes people say just changing th color of the hardware helps. There are so many helpful videos out there. Good Luck!

• Becky

I know this is not the answer you're looking for, but consider maintaining the character of your 1970s house. Lots of people now are remodeling their houses to get back to their original look. I might look for some retro fabric to make kitchen curtains. (. . . I do agree though - white cupboards are really nice in a kitchen!)

• Ida9464

Do they bother you? Because some people change to be on trend, but if you are ok with them I would leave them. But if you aren’t happy with them, then just do a few at a time. You don’t have to rush.

• Margie Hood

iF I were your neighbor I would hop on over and give you a hand and get it done for you..Im like that..Im love to help people..My house is lacking but I will go over and redo my friends house in a flash..Bahahahahah

• Debra Howe

Easiest way to lighten up your cabinets...LIMING WAX!

Liming wax is a white paste wax that you apply and buff off, just like regular paste wax. You can apply a lot of a little, as many costs as you like, until you like the color.

Find it at the hardware store or online.

Clean your cabinets well with a grease cutter before you apply.

• O.shag

I think the thing about knotty pine are the knots. They need to be sealed with a pigmented shellac based primer( 3 or more coats until you don't see the knot anymore) or they bleed through the paint.

• Candy

A few years back I also painted all of our oak kitchen cabinets. It really made the room much brighter. I am now ready to make a little change and would like For them to look antiqued, in order to stop a little of the dirt from showing so quickly, with White still being the base. Any suggestions?

• Mitchmom

Candy, If you wanted to, you could always use a 1" stencil brush and a wood stain. By stippling (pouncing) around the edges and in the corners with the brush, waiting a few minutes and wiping it back off, you could achieve a antiqued look. If you are scared that the color will take too much, you could use a light color. If you wanted a more antiqued look you can lightly drag a chip brush (3" ) across the cabinet door with the same stain still doing more along the edges. Try it on the inside of a door first.

(If you painted the doors with a latex paint, you could do all the above with a craft paint. At least then if you bugger it up, you can wipe it all off with water. Stain won't completely wipe off. The longer you leave stain, the stronger the color will appear).

Hope this helps!!

• Linda Long

I got that same finish by applying a glazing medium mixed with my desired paint color. Paint it on in the desired areas and wipe off as little or as much as you like. Keep adding until you get what you want. You can protect the finish with a coat of clear paste wax. Rub on and wipe off. Good luck.

• Carmen

I have mahogany cabinets. Can this project work for that material also.

• KLI122

I do love the fresh white look but aside from the time factor, I wonder why you left the insides of the cabinets dark? I painted my dark cabinets an ivory color but also painted the interior. It took a little longer but the pleasure of being able to see everything when I open the doors is well worth it! My only problem is a corner cupboard with a lazy susan where I keep my glassware. I can’t figure out how to paint in there. Any suggestions?

• C Crow

Remove everything and spray paint?

• Amber Strong

For me my doors are closed. If I had glass to see in I'd Paint but for me and for material sake I didn't.

• Wendi Glass

What color gray did you use for the walls?

• Sherry

What did you use the sandpaper for?

• Cathy Hays

Probably before she painted. I always rough up my surface before I paint. Even with chalk paint.

• Deborah Kinney

I was wondering the same thing, because it says she didn't sand. But she has the sandpaper listed in the things to buy. Beautiful job!

• Amber Strong

Tto sand paint smooth chalk paint is a little rough. I did not sand my cabinets before

• Brenda

How does the chalk paint hold up on cabinets?

• Amber Strong

It's been a yearand ahalf and still look the same as when I first painted

what do you clean them with

• Mogie

So nice. I plan to paint my cabinets next summer. Looks so crisp and clean and much brighter too. Do you prefer the chalk paint over latex? What are the benefits of one over the other? I am not sure what paint to get for this.

• i want to try this on my dark sherry kitchen cabinets..

but how will I keep clean without damaging the paint job?

• Lisa Kovac

Looks great, but did your $62 include the subway tile backsplash? I noticed it wasn't included in the materials list?

• Martha

You did add a splash back, how much was that?

• Amber Strong

Roughly a hundred bucks

• Martha

thanks; looks great and so inexpensive! did you lay the tiles yourself? I have no idea how to do that

• Jeannie

It states a $62.00 kitchen CABINET makeover not kitchen makeover. So it cost $62.00 to transform only her cabinets. Beautiful job and it looks great!

• Teresa Seeger-Gesser

It looks super nice! However, will chalk paint hold up in a kitchen? With all the cooking, splattering, spilling, shattering....

.( my kitchen) I just would have used an oil-based satin paint. Good luck.

• Jeanne Walker

I used chalk paint on my cabinets. It is fine as long as you are careful while it fully cures. I recently changed the colour after 3 years because I saw a colour I fell in live with. The only place it came off was by the door knobs, nails scratch it, but easily touched up.

• Amber Strong

My kitchen still looks freshly painted :)

• Teresa Seeger-Gesser

I have decided to go with painted cabinets in my new home and the builder & cabinet maker told me that they use a baked on lacquer for durability. I have several pieces, and I myself paint furniture, Adored & Restored - it is not water proof, and the extreme flat or matte finish - In my opinion - just will not hold up - for me - in a kitchen.

• Melissa Zahm

I painted my kitchen cabinets with chalk paint I made myself over three years ago. I used a matte water based clear sealing over them and they haven’t scratched once even after wiping them down with the abrasive side of a sponge when cleaning. The clear wax made specifically for chalk paint will withstand the same treatment as my dresser I used in my old salon was Annie’s chalk paint with clear wax sealant. Clear wax will probably need a new coat every few years, 3 or so but definitely stands up and you don’t have to worry about sanding and all that.

• Rebecca

I chalk painted and antiqued my kitchen cabinets four years ago. I have one spot that the paint has chipped. 3 kids, 2 dogs. I would suggest getting a wax to coat the cabinets though.

• Amber Strong

It does. This is an update

Painted originally March 2018

• Maureen Myers

What backsplash is in the final picture?

• Amanda P

Hi. Y do u not remove hinges?

• Louise Moore

When can you come and do it?

• Randee

Does chalk paint work on Formica?

• Kathy

Do you use glass cleaner on all of your furniture?!

Wood too?!

• Kathy

love it, where can I buy this paint, do you put a sealer coat on them after?

• Kathy

Does the paint withstand bleach and lots of scrubbing?!

• Debi Rice

It doesn’t sound like you sanded and or primed before painting. My husband swears that I can’t paint over oil based paint without doing those steps. What is your advice?

• Susie

They have invented paint that will cover oil based without the sanding and priming. It’s called. PPG paint; it has primer in the paint.

• Melanie

i would go with your husband on this one, although a light sanding should suffice.

• Jessica

I just bought the paint cause my friend did it and swore by it. I decided to try it on my vanity in my bathroom first before doing anything to my kitchen. When I you rubbed it they said to clean it really good first with Windex. I did one coat so fast and so far it looks beautiful. I still have to do another coat and then wax. So far I'm very happy.

• Trish

There are also bonding paints

• Dianne

I used Beyond Paint. It is wonderful. No sanding. Just clean and paint.

• Amber Strong

I have been a painter for 7 years I do not sand and do not prime! Have your husband read that 😊 you can check my Facebook for my previous projects https://www.facebook.com/therustynailga

• Diane

Would this work on cabinets and doors that are already white but need sprucing up?

• Danelle

Can u do this to knotted pine cabinets??

• Pam

I don't understand the glass cleaner on wood. How does that work?

• Kathy

You also added subway tile?

• Tonya

Why would you want white paint on your cabinets? Burn toast a few times and tell me how you like them then. I do like the glass cleaner on the wood though.

• Amber Strong

Painted these march of 2018 not one single issue! Note my toaster! 😍 Still clean still white still pristine condition. 👍

• Mike

can I do this to a mica Kitchen cabinets

and polish

• Ernest

What do you estimate your total time involved from beginning to end???

• Amber Strong

I know it was 2 full days

• Amber Strong

I started coat 1 on Friday night at 6 pm and quit about 1 am. Got up and started again around 10 am finished with everything the sanding and waxing and rehanging the doors about 11pm Saturday night.

• Genie Medlin

You stated that you did not remove the hinges when you removed the doors. How easy was it to paint around all the hinges?

• Stacey

How did you prep the cabinets before you painted them?

And does this paint chip?

• Evonne Accristo

When did you tile the backsplash?

• Susan

Can i paont over formica cabinets what would I need to do?

• Amber Strong

Clean really good and prime them first. Dixie Belle slick stick is great for that.

• Kris

I love white cabinets they are so clean and add light to the space. Good work!

• Linda

Will this work on mobile home cabinets believe they are just fiber board

• Christine Layne Hoback

I had particle board cabinets with laminate, almost like a thick contact paper. It peeled off really easy for the most part. There were places I used a heat gun and scraper for stubborn areas. I used primer, satin latex and polyacrylic for waterproofing turned out gorgeous. Dont be afraid . Test inside a door 1st. I also cut center of doors out. Took to a glass shop and it was only $20 for 11 pieces of glass to be cut and fitted.

• Lynn

Yes if you use BIN Zinsser primer first.

• Amber Strong

I've painted MDF with Dixie Belle with no issues

• Donna David Weis

My builder grade cabinets are pinkish- kind of a fake pickled/whitewash. My husband still likes them but they definitely need freshened. Any suggestions? I love your white cabinets by the way.

• Winnie Senty

A regular house paneer charged me $2400 to redo my kitchen cabinets and they look like crap. They’re too shiny and every bumps takes off the finish. I wish I had done this one in the first place. Did you send them before you painted them?

• Kimberly

Go over them with chalk paint! If you don’t want to wax your cabinets put 1 coat of eggshell sheen in white over the top of the chalk paint! You’ll still have the chalk paint look.. you just won’t have to worry about waxing them .. plus they won’t yellow!

• Wendy

We had our painted white too by a supposedly professional painter. They chipped and looked awful! We ended up replacing all of our cupboards and countertops and went with cherry and absolutely love them! White is not for everyone!

• Amber Strong

Gosh no I didn't sand them. I'd reach out to who ever did yors and ask about their warranty. That should not be happening

• Kiersten

Winnie - When using chalk paint, sanding before painting is not necessary. I would recommend on high use item's, like tables, cabinets, etc to seal with a matte polyurethane instead of wax. As the polyurethane puts a hard protective shell over your chalk paint and prevents chipping.

• Teresa

my cabinets are the original cabinets from 1998 will they work I'm doing this?

• Andrea

Yes! A little sanding and some extra paint may be needed!

• Amber Strong

Yes absolutely

• Kiersten

Love your cabinets. I am getting ready to chalk paint mine in a lighter color too.

• Pam

I just painted mine and they are from 1978. They were in great condition but they were brown. I lightly sanded and painted 2 coats with Behr paint from Home Depot and they are beautiful. They look brand new with the new hardware I used.

• Rita

You showed a close up of one coat, I would like to see a close up of finished door.

• Jackie

Why do you use wax over the cabinets? Will it yellow over time?

• Shelley Felthaus Paull

A wax coat is recommended when using chalk paint. It seals the finish. Chalk paint is amazing, you can paint over just about any surface without a lot of prep like you do with regular latex paint.

• Amber Strong

I used Waverly wax to avoid that. Still white! Painted these march 2018 no issues

• Lesley Long

This looks amazing! I really want to redo my kitchen cabinets. I've been doing research for 2 years trying to find the best paint that will give me the results I desire. I would like a professional look but something that can withstand a kitchen that gets a lot traffic, as I have 5 children. I want something that will not wear off easily if scratched or washed repeatedly, something to stand the test of time. How would you rate the durability of the product used?

• Amber Strong

I have 3 kids all boys. Almost 2 years later and Dixie Belle has held up perfectly

• Pamela

The backsplash really brings the project details together for a great look!

• Rory McBean

What are the sanding sponges for? You said that you didn't sand the cupboard.

• Cat

Does this paint come in other colors? White is too "white" for me :)

• Susie Bickmore

The before picture really show how dark the cabinets were.. You kitchen was so dark and depressing.. I hate when people paint over wood but this is such a beautiful transformation.. Two thumbs up!!

• Amber Strong

Thank you. The cost of white wood finish. Was thousands so this was the best alternative. It really was dark and no windows

• Darla

Whites not for me. To plain, I like your cabinets before painting. Enjoy ur new look just not for me. Great job.