How to Make Your Own Live Edge Table

$500

I was in MN this past weekend and my brother wanted to make a bookmatched, live edge, walnut dining table. If you’re not familiar with bookmatched, it’s two consecutive slabs from a log that you can glue together to make a larger slab and the grain and character match up very well. He didn’t have the shop or tools I have in Nashville so this is a great diy project!!!

how to make your own live edge table

First thing I wanted to have is a set of calls. We used 8’ 2x4s cut in half and glued and screwed together. These would allow us to have something to set the slabs on and get our clamps underneath.

how to make your own live edge table

I put tyvek or some home wrap tape on one side so glue doesn’t stick and then I just keep these around the shop for other table top glue ups!

how to make your own live edge table

Find someplace trustworthy that sells KILN dried slabs. Don’t save money and buy air dried ones. Kiln dried to 6-10% moisture content and when you finish your top, finish it on all sides to help stabilize it and keep it from moving.

how to make your own live edge table

For a straight edge, you can use plywood, metal, saw track (which is what we used)

how to make your own live edge table

This is my brother wearing my company shirt🙌🏼🙌🏼 He had a small saw and to get through this 3” chunk, we rented a huge saw. We did 2 passes with the clean, little one then took the boss through!

how to make your own live edge table

This track has clamps on the ends keeping it secure. If you use something else as your straight edge, just make sure it’s clamped nice and tight!

how to make your own live edge table

After the two middle cuts were made, we put them together to see what his wife thought😁

how to make your own live edge table

She decided she wanted more of the sapwood (lighter color) taken out and my trip was running short so I’m using my Nashville work to finish this “how to” 😂😂 life of a traveling man. So you can see how the calls are being used. Clamping pressure in all directions and I just glued the seem. LOTS of glue and I wiped it with a warm rag to make sanding a bit easier.

how to make your own live edge table

Sand and finish and you have a beautiful bookmatched table that you can control the width to suit your dining room space 🙌🏼🙌🏼

To see more: //www.sawdustandwhiskey.com