Stenciled Wood Dresser

$70

This vintage dresser had been used as many things before I got my hands on it. As far as I know, it was once in a nursey - used as a changing station, once in a living room used as a TV console, and at one point it served as a catch all by a front door. I decided to spruce it up and return it to its original dresser state.

After I removed the vintage metal butterfly drawer pulls I began by doing a light hand sanding on the entire dresser, drawers and all. I used a light 220 grade sandpaper. After I buffed the entire piece I removed the drawers and gave the body of the dresser its first coat of paint using a matte black chalk paint ( 3 coats total with a light buff in between). While it paint was drying I added a light coat of minwax gel stain in the color Mahogany to the top of the dresser. This gel stain is my favorite because it hides slight imperfections in the wood without taking away from the feature of the wood grain. I then chose the stencil I wanted to use, lined up the drawers and painted the stencil on. After everything was done drying I added a light coat of minwax stain in the color Mahogany to the drawers so they would match the top.

stenciled wood dresser

Before photo - with vintage metal butterfly drawer pulls.

stenciled wood dresser

Light hand sanding with 220 grit sand paper.

stenciled wood dresser

The top of the dresser post sand and pre gel stain.

stenciled wood dresser
stenciled wood dresser

Matte clear coat to go over the body of the dresser to prevent chipping of the paint and give an ultra matte look.

stenciled wood dresser

Dresser drawers before a slight coat of wood stain.

stenciled wood dresser

Dresser drawers after a light coat of wood stain.

stenciled wood dresser

Finished product!

• John herb

you should start a vintage stencil company Its faddish now, gotta strike when the iron is hot, and your hot......

• Cathy Magan

GORGEOUS!!! I adore the butterfly pulls! If you painted the butterfly handles brass, it would've added even MORE character & brought out more of the stencils beauty. But it's absolutely gorgeous as is of course.👍💜💚