Stenciled Wood Dresser

$70

This vintage dresser had been used as many things before I got my hands on it. As far as I know, it was once in a nursey - used as a changing station, once in a living room used as a TV console, and at one point it served as a catch all by a front door. I decided to spruce it up and return it to its original dresser state.

After I removed the vintage metal butterfly drawer pulls I began by doing a light hand sanding on the entire dresser, drawers and all. I used a light 220 grade sandpaper. After I buffed the entire piece I removed the drawers and gave the body of the dresser its first coat of paint using a matte black chalk paint ( 3 coats total with a light buff in between). While it paint was drying I added a light coat of minwax gel stain in the color Mahogany to the top of the dresser. This gel stain is my favorite because it hides slight imperfections in the wood without taking away from the feature of the wood grain. I then chose the stencil I wanted to use, lined up the drawers and painted the stencil on. After everything was done drying I added a light coat of minwax stain in the color Mahogany to the drawers so they would match the top.

Before photo - with vintage metal butterfly drawer pulls.

Light hand sanding with 220 grit sand paper.

The top of the dresser post sand and pre gel stain.

Matte clear coat to go over the body of the dresser to prevent chipping of the paint and give an ultra matte look.

Dresser drawers before a slight coat of wood stain.

Dresser drawers after a light coat of wood stain.

Finished product!

Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized

• Eliza Spear

Is there a future project in mind for the vintage butterfly drawer pulls?

• Connieimbach

Where did you purchase the stencil?

• AlyssaC

Connie, I linked the material list at the end of the article. The stencil is the last thing listed, click on the link and it will take you to a list of the same and similar style stencils!

• Na

nice Job. Everything, stain, stencil and pulls works together to blend into a really nice focal point. The butterflies were a distraction.

• Linda

Looks awesome! Great idea too.