DIY Resin Doorknobs

$10
1 Day

A while back I made some steampunk door knobs/drawer pulls that have been super popular. I have had so many people ask me what else can be done with this idea. So I decided to do a test run adding a few different items to the resin to see how they would work out.

DIY Resin Door Knobs

These knobs can be made to suit your needs. Looking for cute knobs for your kids bedroom. Add some Lego blocks, arm men, mini toys etc. The possibilities are endless. Even what they can be used for is endless. Coat hooks, jewelry hooks, door knobs, drawer pulls etc.

Materials:

• Ping pong balls
  • Epoxy resin
  • Cake moulds
  • Chop sticks
  • Filler (beads, pebbles, shells)
  • Mixing containers

I made these in a slightly different way from the last ones. I had a look around the house for something I could use as a mould. I only wanted small moulds so I did not use to much resin, because this was just a test run. I also found bit and bobs around the house to put in the resin.

Step 1: Cut ping pong balls

I found ping pong balls that I have plenty off, any mould will work. Silicone mould work best. I cut the top off the balls using a stanley knife.

Step 2: Place ping pong balls in mould and add filler

I used a cake moulds to support the balls so they would not fall over once filled. I added all my elements to the balls. I used pebble, shells, thumbtacks, beads, nuts & bolts and charms. I found with the rounder balls I should have added more elements to fill up the balls. Once the resin was poured they fell from the sides to the bottom.

Step 3: Make supports for bolts

Next I made some supports to hold the bolts in place while the resin dries. The bolts should be at least halfway into the resin to made the knobs stronger.

Step 4: Mix epoxy resin

Mix your resin and pour it into the moulds. All resins are different so mix to the manufacturers instructions.

Step 5: Pour epoxy resin into ping pong balls (optional: add pigment)

I tried to make a beach themed knob by adding so blue resin pigment as the sea.

Step 6: Heat epoxy resin to remove bubbles

Once the resin is poured you will find bubble will form across the resin surface. To pop the bubbles, I used a creme brule torch. Just one swipe across the surface and the bubbles are gone. Or you can use a straw and blow through the straw. Your breath pops the bubbles.

Step 7: Place bolts into ping pong balls

This was what my technical set up looked like. I just used items I had lying around in my workshop.

Step 8: Remove dry knobs from mould

Wait 24 hours or until dry. Cut the ball and peel away. The only down side to the ping pong balls was the surface was a bit dull. To get the shine back I add acrylic spray and boom the surface was shiny again. This does not happen with silicone moulds.

This was the beach themed knob. It would have turned out great if i had not added the sand first. It all settles at the bottom hiding the shells

Plastic Beads

Pebbles

Shells knobs. More detailed information on this project can be found on my website listed below. Time to make these is about 1 hour excluding drying time.

For another great idea, check out this Game of Thrones lamp made from an empty Jack Daniels bottle and a tealight candle holder.

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
Unique Creations By Anita

• April

Do you think i could make a keepsake using my mothers ashes? If so do you have any tips or advice? Thank you

• Johanne Palange

Oh! I really like the tiny jar idea. Placed inside the larger mold for the final object, the things inside the jar could be free floating and mobile whenever the larger object (like, say a paperweight) is moved.

• Brenda Keilbart

Could I apply a thin film of Vaseline inside the ping pong balls to make them easier to remove? I love this idea! Thank You

• Unique Creations By Anita

I am not to sure how vaseline will react with the resin. Maybe do a test run first. It does come out easy using the balls it just did not have the shiny surface. Silicone mold will give you both.

• Mimi Shaw

I’m new to this. Why can’t you just use the cake mold? Is it not deep enough, maybe? Just curious. The ping pong balls are clever though. Do you think they’d work in an egg carton?

• Aprilis

Yes I will as I am always looking for unusual knobs for different things

• Johanne Palange

Thanks for clear instructions and pointing out the possible errors newbies can make. I need to get 6 very small knobs, and I'm not finding anything that catches my eye, so I will get a mold and make some. I especially like your door knob that uses colored beads.