DIY Resin Doorknobs

$10
1 Day

A while back I made some steampunk door knobs/drawer pulls that have been super popular. I have had so many people ask me what else can be done with this idea. So I decided to do a test run adding a few different items to the resin to see how they would work out.

DIY Resin Door Knobs

These knobs can be made to suit your needs. Looking for cute knobs for your kids bedroom. Add some Lego blocks, arm men, mini toys etc. The possibilities are endless. Even what they can be used for is endless. Coat hooks, jewelry hooks, door knobs, drawer pulls etc.

I made these in a slightly different way from the last ones. I had a look around the house for something I could use as a mould. I only wanted small moulds so I did not use to much resin, because this was just a test run. I also found bit and bobs around the house to put in the resin.

I found ping pong balls that I have plenty off, any mould will work. Silicone mould work best. I cut the top off the balls using a stanley knife.

I used a cake moulds to support the balls so they would not fall over once filled. I added all my elements to the balls. I used pebble, shells, thumbtacks, beads, nuts & bolts and charms. I found with the rounder balls I should have added more elements to fill up the balls. Once the resin was poured they fell from the sides to the bottom.

Next I made some supports to hold the bolts in place while the resin dries. The bolts should be at least halfway into the resin to made the knobs stronger.

Mix your resin and pour it into the moulds. All resins are different so mix to the manufacturers instructions.

I tried to make a beach themed knob by adding so blue resin pigment as the sea.

Once the resin is poured you will find bubble will form across the resin surface. To pop the bubbles, I used a creme brule torch. Just one swipe across the surface and the bubbles are gone. Or you can use a straw and blow through the straw. Your breath pops the bubbles

This was what my technical set up looked like. I just used items I had lying around in my workshop. Wait 24 hours or until dry. Cut the ball and peel away. The only down side to the ping pong balls was the surface was a bit dull. To get the shine back I add acrylic spray and boom the surface was shiny again. This does not happen with silicone moulds.

This was the beach themed knob. It would have turned out great if i had not added the sand first. It all settles at the bottom hiding the shells

Plastic Beads

Pebbles

Shells knobs. More detailed information on this project can be found on my website listed below. Time to make these is about 1 hour excluding drying time.

For another great idea, check out this Game of Thrones lamp made from an empty Jack Daniels bottle and a tealight candle holder.

Unique Creations By Anita

• LA Smith

Anita, thank you so much for taking time to share your lovely & creative project. Your instructions were very concise, feeling like I could do this project and be successful the first time around. Is there a particular brand of resin that you prefer to work with? Thank you again, will be looking forward to more creative ideas from you!

• Tina Harris

Yes what did you use the knobs for,did you use them for your kitchen cabinets if so how did you install them?

• I used mine as knobs for a coat rack. They can be used for drawers and cabinet doors. They go through exciting holes or you can still new ones. I nut is put in place depending on the depth you want and one on the inside to secure the knob.

• Kristin

Why do you have to have the bolts in the resin while it dries? I couldn’t find the explanation for this. Thanks!

• Kim Walker Smith
    Yesterday

Love this!

• Kareema
    Yesterday

I love this idea! I have an antique dresser with some of the drawer handles missing. I can't find matching ones, so I'll have to replace all of them. I really love the seashell/beach theme! Once I refinish the dresser, I'll have to make my own drawer handle this way....and some coat knobs for a handmade rack!

Oh, thank you for sharing this! I love it!💖💖💖💖