Chalk Painted Texture Casting Room Divider Makeover

$65

Using Chalky Paints, and Texture Casting I remade this room divide to fit into the style that I have in my condo.

For this project I used a product called texture casting. It's a wood based paste that you can use to stencil on designs that later dry to a raised embellishment. 

(Before) I picked this up on the FB market for $30.00

We have a one bedroom rental condo on Okaloosa Island in Florida and there is a pull out sofa in the living room. I thought a room divider would be the perfect way to lend a little privacy to those who would be sleeping on the sofa and also keep the noise from the kitchen from hitting the sleepers. Basically, if someone gets up and needs coffee this will provide a buffer.

I've used texture casting several times in my creating and it makes for a simple way to add something unique to furniture creations. See more texture casting ideas on my blog.

It's an easy paste to work with and you can use a spatula or an old credit card to spread the paste across the stencil. Try and use a very thick stencil for this or create a one time use stencil from oak tag.

I applied the design but had to wait until it dried to lay down the stencil and reapply it to cover each section entirely. This was a bit time consuming but really worth it for a project like this.

After all the section were dry , I used Crisp Collar by Chalk Country Paint to give it a bright white finish. I sell this at the Coastal Bohemian Etsy shop.

Afterwards I use a dry brush to add some dark grey paint to the edges in order to help pick up the design and add a little shabby , distressed look to the divider.

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
CoastalBohemian

• Rhonda Bartee

I have a divider like the one in the background of the picture that displays the texture plaster in this post. My question is...can you give me some suggestions to refurbish it? Some of the small wooden divider pieces are missing and it's been used for a scratching post by former owners cat, so the cloth is shredded in spots.

I just want to do something different with it.

• CoastalBohemian

Hi Rhonda . I think they linked the wrong divider. That is not my divider. However , that looks like some sort of rice paper. You maybe able to replace it with brown wrap paper. And then you can paint the paper. I would bet you could add texture casting to the paper because I use the leftover texture casting from my projects in my art journaling pages.

• Melissa

Can the paste be tinted before you apply it

• Marvella

What exactly is the product called? The texture casting ? I did. Search for it and can’t find it . Would also like to know where to purchase it . Beautiful job on the room divider !

• Mcgypsy9

I am trying to access your Etsy store. I’ve typed coastal bohemian ...several different ways and it won’t come up. Can you provide a link please?

• CoastalBohemian

Awww. If only my kids like my style. Lol.