DIY Stained Front Porch

$60

Why pay a professional when you can do it yourself? With some time and elbow grease, we were able to save a couple of hundred dollars by staining our entire covered front porch ourselves! It definitely was a project, but one that was worth it! By using a can of outdoor stain, we completely transformed the look and feel of our entire porch!

diy stained front porch

This was an all day project but the reward was worth it! We used Behr semi transparant stain that we picked up from our local Home Depot. The stain was easy to apply and went on very smoothly!

diy stained front porch

Here is the before photo of our porch. When building this porch, we used pressure treated wood boards that need to acclimate for at least 6 months or longer before being painted or stained. I could not wait to get the stain down after several months of waiting!

diy stained front porch

I went section by section to get it all stained. We tried using a roller at first but it was not getting into the grooves of the porch boards. A paint brush was definitely more tedious but the product applied much more evenly.

diy stained front porch

This project took the bulk of one entire day! The kids even helped a bit and the process can literally be back breaking! But look how beautiful the stain looks! It was definitely worth it!

diy stained front porch

This was the hardest part as this is the longest section of our porch!

diy stained front porch

Here is a finished view of our side porch! This is one of my favorite stain colors! I love how it looks with the gray siding!

Michele | Sweet Threads Design Co.

• Dee

Wow, what a beautiful job you all did!! Now you can hopefully sit back and enjoy the beauty of your hard work!

• Steph

Our deck is treated wood and has been painted with one coat of paint. That paint is almost worn off. What steps would I need to take to use the stain? Thank you for any suggestions.

• Since this was pressure treated wood and a clean slate we just directly applied the stain. I believe you would have to use either a product thats strips the paint off or sand it all down in order to change the stain color.