Patio Makeover on a Dime

$100
1 Day

Our back deck was beginning to look a little sad. It had worn, sun-bleached chairs, no outdoor rug (they are SO expensive!) and no table for books, drinks, sippy cups, swim goggles or "special" rocks my kiddos found in the backyard.

It needed a makeover.

But we didn't have a lot to spend.

So, I got creative.

Here's a quick 1 minute video to show the process of the makeover.

It took about a day and was worth every second!

Like this? Follow along with me @PerfectlyDeStressed - I'm always making crap from junk!

patio makeover on a dime

I started with these. They were dirty, cracked in spots and overall very "BLAH". The deck gets really hot in the summer (especially for all the tiny feet - both human and furry - that walk on it). I needed a fix for that, too.

And Mama likes an ice cold wine cooler while on lifeguard duty - I definitely needed a fix for that too!

patio makeover on a dime

This stuff?

Awesome.

Seriously.

If you are hesitant to draw the scallop design on your own, this is your BTFF ( Best Tape Friend Forever)

You can find it here.

If you do want to draw the scallop on your own, I used a sharpie. Here's the plain, cheapo rug I found at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Ribbed-Taupe-6-ft-x-8-ft-Indoor-Outdoor-Area-Rug-CP45N40PJ1H1/202042697

At only $18 it's a steal!

Using a quart of outdoor black paint I filled in my sharpie scribbles.

The dots were made with a little circular sponge made for stenciling.

patio makeover on a dime

Here's a better view of the upper part of the sun shade frame. I used metal pipes on the outside of the frame, but for the inside, I went with PVC pipe due to the light weight.

The height of the pipes are 7'. The width is approx 5'. The PVC pipes are 7'.

You will need:

(4) 1/2" 7' plumbing pipes

(4) 1/2" 2-3 ft. plumbing pipes

(4) 1/2" plumbing corners

(2) 1/2" plumbing connectors

(4) 1/2" plumbing flanges

(2) 7' PVC pipes

patio makeover on a dime

I found these cheapo plastic hooks at Home Depot in the aisle with closet and shelving. They are screwed into the PVC with bolts and washers.

patio makeover on a dime

The shade cloth I found on Amazon.

It's really nice fabric. Sturdy and totally worth the $18.

Oh, and can we give a shout-out to Zip Ties puhleeeze?!

Easy, inexpensive and totally works for holding the shade fabric exactly where you want it!

patio makeover on a dime

The table was constructed in a similar way to the support buckets under the canopy frame.

Each metal paint bucket was spray painted a copper color, an approx. 6 in. block of wood was placed inside the bucket, quick dry concrete was poured around the wood, and once dried, a 1/2" pipe flange screwed into the wood to hold the pipe. The canopy buckets can be filled with garden rocks, dirt and flowers or just filled to the top with concrete if you prefer.

The top was a finished pine circle from Home Depot. I simply bought it, stained it and top coated it.

There is an approx. 3 ft plumbing pipe attached to the bucket flange as well as a plumbing flange on the underside of the tabletop.

patio makeover on a dime

I lined this particular bucket with plastic and filled it up with ice.

Because.

Wine Coolers.

patio makeover on a dime

I filled my back 2 frame buckets with rocks and the front 2 with flowers.

I clipped a string of lights to those gosh darn amazing zip ties that I used to hold the shade fabric in place.

patio makeover on a dime

For additional support (especially if you porch or patio is prone to strong wind) you could directly attach the support buckets to the floor of your space. Or tie down your pipes (similar to a tent).

patio makeover on a dime

If you need me.

I'll be here.

www.instagram.com/perfectlydestressed

www.perfectlydestressed.com

www.facebook.com/perfectlydestressed

Perfectly DeStressed

• Lynette Summerill

Nice job. Kudos. Enjoy your deck and those wine coolers.

• Sheryl

I love this!! Does it hold up in the weather and wind or do you have to take it down each time?

• Perfectly DeStressed

We actually attached the 2 back vertical posts temporarily to our deck using hooks just to be safe. It has held up well through summer storms! As long as your fabric is securely ziptied, you should be pretty secure!

• Lyn
    16 minutes ago

I love what you did there!!! Especially the rug cos my patio gets hot too!!!

How does that rug do when it rains? Does rain run thru it or what. Wondering about mildew. Great job!!!

• Deanie

Beautiful transformation! Thank you for actually meaning “on a dime”!! I find so many of these makeovers should say “Step 1: Have a lot of money” LOL!! I love what you’ve done...neat space to hang out♥️

• Bonnie

Very nice lounging space you created! Love this idea!! Great job! Very informative!