Is there any way to lighten the color of a slate backsplash?

+4

I have a very dark slate backsplash in a small cramped kitchen. Is there any way I can lighten it but keep it looking fairly natural? Whitewashing or chalk painting it would look terrible. It has a lot of texture and would be nice in a larger Tuscan style kitchen. Mine is more shabby chic meets French country with white distressed cupboards. Is there such a thing as a lightening stain? Or slate bleach? Just a lighter grey would be nice.

q how to lighten slate
q how to lighten slate
q how to lighten slate
  • Amanda Amanda on Jul 31, 2019

Hello. I think your only option would be to paint it. Slate is porous so you'll need to do a few coats. The texture of the slate may make it pop more. I would buy another piece of slate to test it and see if you like it. Good Luck!

• I think if you still want to maintain the natural look but lighten it up I would do a whitewash. Mix white paint with water about a 50 to 50 ratio and lightly blot the mixture on the tile. Start out with a little and then add more until you find the look you want.

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Aug 01, 2019

Take this photo to the paint department of your home improvement store and ask for their advice on materials and application tools. They have so many paints, stains and other materials and the know-how to help you out.

• Unfortunately there is not a product that would lighten the slate, other than attempting to paint it. Can you overlay something over it like a panel?

• Rachel Rachel on Oct 28, 2019

What did you end up doing? I have the same slate throughout my kitchen and hate how dark it is. I have been looking into ways to lighten it. I would love to know what you came up with.

• Tammy Blake Tammy Blake on Dec 17, 2019

I too have the same dark slate flooring and would love to hear and see any results of painting or lightening the slate tile. Thx