DIY Door Awning Redo

$85

This easy, inexpensive idea can be completed in just a couple of hours!

If you've perused my other projects, you'll see I posted this horrible awning I cobbled together for our back door. My second attempt at an awning. Here's its disastrous self post-winter/spring.

Horrifying. Wow. So bad.

Have you noticed how handy and awesome Hometalk is though? I ran across Chas from Florida's a/c unit hack and bam, I finally had a solution to my awning problem. Thanks, Chas!

My goal was to reuse the cedar brackets I had previously installed, the holes were in the house, why not, so I picked up a handful of pressure treated 1x2.

Don't yell at me, I know -- I used solid color stain on not-aged wood. Cut me some slack, I didn't wanna go up and down a ladder a bazillion times next spring staining it then.

Be sure to come by my blog Flipping the Flip for all the details on this project as well as a slew of other great ones!

Using some pole barn screws.....no I wasn't building a pole barn but since the awning was now stained to sorta match the siding, I needed a textural design element to break up the monotony.....

I pilot drilled a hole with this super spiffy and handy filp drive countersink bit (see materials below) and sank a pole barn screw. Using a bit of the cutoff from the stick of lumber, I had the perfect spacing.

Attached a few on this side then moved to the other and attached that side then down the middle.

Ok! Here we are!

Now. The whole point of installing an awning originally was to protect us and the portion of walk from the onslaught of icky weather. What was I going to do about the open gaps?

My sweetheart said just leave the new awning as is, gaps and all, we'll deal but a couple days later, I opted to add some plastic sheets from the home improvement store.

Sure, they're not the right size but something is better than nothing.

And voila! Brand new back door awning! It's miles better than the previous two, that's for sure. Even Finn looks proud to be near it! Whew!

Be sure to click the link below next to the F logo to read more about this project!

Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• BeeZee

Gosh, I love how your awning gives such a new clean look and oh so functional! Congrats, well done!

• Dl.5660408

Nicely done! And Chas is pretty awesome too. Thanks for sharing the “warts”as well as the success