DIY Door Awning Redo

$85

This easy, inexpensive idea can be completed in just a couple of hours!

diy door awning redo

If you've perused my other projects, you'll see I posted this horrible awning I cobbled together for our back door. My second attempt at an awning. Here's its disastrous self post-winter/spring.

Horrifying. Wow. So bad.

Have you noticed how handy and awesome Hometalk is though? I ran across Chas from Florida's a/c unit hack and bam, I finally had a solution to my awning problem. Thanks, Chas!

diy door awning redo

My goal was to reuse the cedar brackets I had previously installed, the holes were in the house, why not, so I picked up a handful of pressure treated 1x2.

Don't yell at me, I know -- I used solid color stain on not-aged wood. Cut me some slack, I didn't wanna go up and down a ladder a bazillion times next spring staining it then.

Be sure to come by my blog Flipping the Flip for all the details on this project as well as a slew of other great ones!

diy door awning redo

Using some pole barn screws.....no I wasn't building a pole barn but since the awning was now stained to sorta match the siding, I needed a textural design element to break up the monotony.....

diy door awning redo

I pilot drilled a hole with this super spiffy and handy filp drive countersink bit (see materials below) and sank a pole barn screw. Using a bit of the cutoff from the stick of lumber, I had the perfect spacing.

Attached a few on this side then moved to the other and attached that side then down the middle.

diy door awning redo

Ok! Here we are!

Now. The whole point of installing an awning originally was to protect us and the portion of walk from the onslaught of icky weather. What was I going to do about the open gaps?

diy door awning redo

My sweetheart said just leave the new awning as is, gaps and all, we'll deal but a couple days later, I opted to add some plastic sheets from the home improvement store.

Sure, they're not the right size but something is better than nothing.

diy door awning redo

And voila! Brand new back door awning! It's miles better than the previous two, that's for sure. Even Finn looks proud to be near it! Whew!

Be sure to click the link below next to the F logo to read more about this project!

Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Teressa Jones

What did u use 2 attach the top 2 the slats 2 keep it in place & not crack or split?

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

All the slats are attached with pole barn screws to the brackets. I drilled holes in them first to prevent splitting, then used the screw to attach.

• Kathleen Church

Do you get snow where you live? Just a thought, a steeper pitch for snow, heavy snow will damage your awning. If you live where you have snow, a upside down V or a side slope,like a L side ways, which eer the wind blows the worst

• Becky at Flipping the Flip

We do get snow and some of it will fall through the gaps which will lessen the load. I had the light fixture location to work around so the pitch might not be as steep as it should be but I’ll keep an eye on it this winter. Thanks!

• Yolanda

Won’t the plastic melt or warp under the sun?

• Ida9464

The difference between your first and second attempt is vast. I am sooo inspired to have Hubby do this to our back doors. It looks wonderful and would help protect our doors. Thank you so much. So clean and modern. How do you make brackets?

• Nicki Petruzzella Kerns

I really need something like this over our front porch, which is its own microclimate in the summer. :-D Our porch's railings look just like your awning, so this is a perfect match. Thanks for sharing this!