Replacing An Old Deck

$4100
1 Month

Our covered porch was in need of a watertight decking because the crawl space was directly under the deck surface. We found a product from Deckorators that fit the bill.

Installation took several weekends and a week of vacation time, but the result was better than expected!

These are the stairs we had before. They had been painted several times before.

The deck boards were in such bad shape and warped, we had to keep an old outdoor rug on them.

My husband removed the rails first.

After that, the decking was removed. Notice, you can see the crawl space below. We needed a watertight decking material to keep the rain from getting into the crawl space.

We used Deckorators composite decking with a flange between the boards.

It was so nice to get to this point and have the decking done! The stairs were next.

Once the stairs were done, cedar rails with metal balusters were added to the porch deck and stairs.

Stairs and railings are finished. We plan to add caps to the posts.

Stop by the blog to see more details on how the porch was installed.

https://www.diydesignfanatic.com/2019/06/the-new-porch-at-mountain-cottage.html

Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Diy Design Fanatic

• Jan
    Jan

how do I get the view??

• Diana Deal-Andrews
    Diana Deal-Andrews

The instructions on your makeover says you used Deckorators watertight composite decking, I looked at their website and I can’t find anything that says watertight, I’m asking because I want to redo my deck, and I have a patio beneath the deck, but no roof over the deck as you do, so is it really watertight as mentioned or will I need a ceiling system underneath if I want my patio to stay dry?

• Stephany
      Stephany

If found a number of the same type of decking materials on Home Depot's on-line site. Didn't keep looking long enough to see if they had the exact same brand because unfortunately it's way out of my price range.😔 All the reviews were great. One person did mention that it got a little slippery when wet but not too bad because it has a wood grain finish

• Nancy
    Nancy

How did you stain the cedar without getting it on the black metal balusters? (Brush by hand?) Thank you

• Sally
      Sally

I would think it was done prior to installing the balusters, but definitely brush by hand, regardless.

• Stephany
    Stephany

Absolutely beautiful! It looks professionally done by a contractor. Can't believe you did it yourself. I really wish the material you used was in my price range. I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy that beautiful view for years to come with no more hard work. 🙂

• Carol de la Fuente
    Carol de la Fuente

Totally beautiful!!! Just love it!!! Enjoy!!!