Annie
Annie
  • Canada

Make a Metal Art Wreath

$10

I've been playing around with old rusty barb wire and just finished making a wreath. This will look great hanging in my house.

make a metal art wreath

Since the "before" picture is kind of ugly, here's what my wreath looked like when it was finished.

make a metal art wreath

Here's the length of old wire I had to work with. I wore leather gloves to handle the wire. I coiled it into a circle as best I could.

make a metal art wreath

I wound the end around the wire, you can see it at the bottom of the photo. I left several inches, because I will use that to make the wreath hanger later.

You can see the circle is pretty floppy, but here's how I fixed that.

make a metal art wreath

I cut lengths of tie wire about 4 inches long. I grabbed the coil of wire and bent one piece of wire around the circle.

Using pliers, I gathered and twisted the two ends of that tie wire and started cinching it until it was tight.

You can read more of these pickier details over here on our site. Earlier I made this Metal Art Star with the same technique.

make a metal art wreath

I did that four times on that circle, everywhere I needed to get the wires tightened together. You can cut the ends of any extra tie wire or just bend it into the barb wire.

For the hanger, I just bent the tail back and twisted it around the wreath.

make a metal art wreath

Add some flowers or ribbons and the metal art wreath is done. I may hang it on our porch or maybe on the tall wall in our stairwell.

Want to see how we fixed up the ugliest stairwell you have ever seen?

Seasonally, I can change up the decorations if I like. This is a fun and easy project to add a rustic touch to your decor.

Annie

• Lucy
    31 minutes ago

How do you keep this from scratching up the paint on your door?

• Annie
      28 minutes ago

I haven't had a problem with that, but you could wrap the barbed ends in clear tape. Just for the parts that rub against your door, that should work

• Shirley

I made and sold one of these in an Old Abilene Town (Abilene, KS) craft mall years ago. Just happened to have some barbed wire lying around! Also made one with a bagful of Devil's Claw seed pods that my mom had gathered in Norton County, KS. Sprayed it black and it sold right away. I sort of wish I had kept both of them, now that I live in historic Topeka, KS.

• Linda Sanley Albelo

I've made lots of these!