Make a Metal Art Wreath

$10

I've been playing around with old rusty barb wire and just finished making a wreath. This will look great hanging in my house.

Since the "before" picture is kind of ugly, here's what my wreath looked like when it was finished.

Here's the length of old wire I had to work with. I wore leather gloves to handle the wire. I coiled it into a circle as best I could.

I wound the end around the wire, you can see it at the bottom of the photo. I left several inches, because I will use that to make the wreath hanger later.

You can see the circle is pretty floppy, but here's how I fixed that.

I cut lengths of tie wire about 4 inches long. I grabbed the coil of wire and bent one piece of wire around the circle.

Using pliers, I gathered and twisted the two ends of that tie wire and started cinching it until it was tight.

You can read more of these pickier details over here on our site. Earlier I made this Metal Art Star with the same technique.

I did that four times on that circle, everywhere I needed to get the wires tightened together. You can cut the ends of any extra tie wire or just bend it into the barb wire.

For the hanger, I just bent the tail back and twisted it around the wreath.

Add some flowers or ribbons and the metal art wreath is done. I may hang it on our porch or maybe on the tall wall in our stairwell.

Want to see how we fixed up the ugliest stairwell you have ever seen?

Seasonally, I can change up the decorations if I like. This is a fun and easy project to add a rustic touch to your decor.

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Annie

• Lucy

How do you keep this from scratching up the paint on your door?

• Melinda Record

Maybe applying a clear, silicone caulking to the sharp points would create a safe scratch buffer?

• Melinda Record

I absolutely love this metal, barbed wire, rustic wreath! Creating it requires care and patience, but the results are well worth the efforts!! [Your instructions are great.]

Thank you very much for sharing!

• Linda W

Clever idea but I would add more flowers maybe with a bit of twine.