DIY Flower Supports From a Tomato Cage

$21

This is an easy and affordable DIY for my gardener friends. . . Flower Supports from a Tomato Cage!

diy flower supports from a tomato cage

Necessity is the mother of invention! By the beginning of August, flowers in the garden have gotten a leggy and a little droopy.

inspiration from Gardener's Supply Co.
inspiration from Gardener's Supply Co.

The inspiration for this DIY came from Jardin Half-Round Plant Supports I spied in Gardener’s Supply Company's catalog, to prop up flowers and to keep your flower beds and borders tidy. I loved the look as well as the functionality, but not the price tag --> $20+ for a set of two.

diy flower supports from a tomato cage

I started with a 54-inch galvanized steel tomato cage. All tomato cages are not created equally, they come different heights and weights. You’ll want a heavy duty one for these supports.

My heavy duty cage was $4 instead of the more flimsy $2 version. Tomato cages also come powdered coated in colors which you could use as a bright accent and colorful plant support if you prefer.

diy flower supports from a tomato cage

I purchased a 14-inch bolt cutter for $17 at Lowe’s. No hand strength required, with the bolt cutters, which made cutting through the steel rings super easy!

diy flower supports from a tomato cage

Start by cutting your tomato cage in half lengthwise with your bolt cutters. Then cut where the rings are joined to the vertical supports on the tomato cage (refer to the first photo, where the arrows are).

I ended up with 3 sizes and 6 supports in total from 1 tomato cage. Not exactly like the Jardin half-round supports, but easier on the wallet, even after purchasing the bolt cutters. (6 supports from Gardener’s Supply Company would have been around $65)

diy flower supports from a tomato cage

I cut the middle pieces off the tallest supports (refer to the ‘x’ on the first photo) but you could leave them if you prefer.

diy flower supports from a tomato cage

They’re handy for supporting leaning zinnias. . .

diy flower supports from a tomato cage

And the cleome that has gotten a leggy by late summer.

diy flower supports from a tomato cage

More photos at the blog link below. Happy Gardening!

Mary @ Home is Where the Boat Is

• Cheryl Sullivan

Yes INDEED, I can see myself using your IDEA a lot. Makes me already looking Forward to SPRING. Thank You,,Cheryl S.

• Ann Griffith

i bought the bolt cutter, $17.89 at Yeagars/Ace hardware.. worth every penny, wish I had purchased them years ago. Tomato cage idea is great also. Just happened to have one laying around. Now my zinnias are off the ground.