Spray Paint and Lace!

$3

I've used lace in several painting projects in the past and this time I thought I'd try it out on glass!

spray paint and lace

I love finding new uses or projects for things that I have a lot of and I have A LOT of glass jars!

spray paint and lace

I decided to try out my technique 2 different ways. I would do one jar with a white base and copper lace and the other jar would be the opposite. Well, in all honesty, one of the jars was a complete flop! For some reason the copper spray paint didn't stick to the glass very well...

spray paint and lace

First I sprayed my base coats.

spray paint and lace

A couple tips when using spray paint on glass:

•Glass isn't porous or absorbent like some other materials so it's very important to use a light touch and spray a couple thin coats to avoid those nasty drips.

•Allow for a little extra drying time as well and make sure your base coat is completely dry before moving on to the lace step.

spray paint and lace

Different types of lace will give you a different look so have fun and experiment! Also, after you have painted your lace, you don't need to throw it out! You can use the same piece for at least a couple more projects.

spray paint and lace

I wasn't exactly sure how to go about securing and painting the lace because I've only used this technique on flat surfaces before. I played around with it a little and just ended up rolling it around the jar and spraying one side at a time.

spray paint and lace

Once I spray over the lace I carefully remove it right away and allow the piece to dry. I wouldn't want the lace to stick and end up pulling off any paint. Once the first side is completely dry, wrap the jar again and spray the other side.

spray paint and lace

I finished the jar up with some twine and added some flowers. They could also be used as candle holders, pen holders, or whatever you need! I highly recommend testing out your lace on a scrap piece of wood before your main project to see if you like how it looks. Again, different types and different thicknesses of lace will give you different results. I hope you enjoyed this project. Feel free to check out all my other projects on my Instagram page!

To see more: //instagram.com/beautymark_furniture

• Mary

Have you thought about painting the jar white first, then spraying copper all over, then more white over the lace? Once the jar was white, the metallic paint might stick.

• Benjamin

Why not just cut the lace to fit the jar and mod podge it on and leave it? Same finished product...

• Bonnie
    1 minute ago

How can you do this But paint the inside of the jar