DIY Copper Garden Art From Copper Tubing

I love the look of copper in the garden-so much so that I have made a few different pieces for my garden and also a rain chain. I like to use copper tubing because it is flexible and I can manipulate it any way that I want. The added bonus is that it is beautiful and elegant.
I created this recently from a roll of copper tubing, some concrete and an old nursery pot:
DIY copper garden art
Here is a picture of the first one I created a few years ago:
DIY copper garden art
These pieces of garden art are extremely easy to create-you just need to use your imagination and find your artistic side. I have condensed the instructions here but if you stop over at my blog I have detailed instructions and photos.
For this project you will need:
1. An old nursery pot (I think this is a 3 gallon size) and a roll of duct tape.
2. A bag of concrete mix-any will do. I use Quikrete. Also a tub to mix the concrete in.
3. A roll of copper tubing (I picked this one up at Menards it is enough for a couple of projects)
4. A pair of tin snips or pipe cutter.
5. A tape measure (optional)
Here are the steps to create your garden art:
1. Use the duct tape to cover the holes in the bottom of the nursery pot.
2. Roll out the tubing and cut into the length you desire. For mine I cut them into 6 foot lengths. Just a note-I like to work in odd numbers so I cut 5 lengths for this project.
3. Mix up the bag of concrete according to the package directions.
4. Let the concrete sit for a few minutes to hydrate then add to the nursery container.
5. Let the concrete sit for a few minutes then start inserting the copper tubing into the concrete like this:
6. In order to hold the tubing in place I use a nylon tie at the top:
7. Let sit for a week (if you use regular concrete) to cure.
8. After the concrete has cured you can cut the nylon tie:
9. Use your hands to gently bend and guide the tubing-do not bend to sharply. This will cause a crimp. Always bend slowly.
Now start on the next one:
Just continue to bend each piece to achieve the look you want. Just remember that this is your piece of art-it does not need to be perfect.
After I had it the way I wanted it I did solder a few of the areas together just to be sure it was sturdy.
10. Cut off the pot.
11. Find a spot in your garden.
12. Dig a hole and plant your piece of art.
13. Sit back and enjoy your own piece of art:-))
I hope you try this project out-you can create your own original art work that you will love and your neighbors will admire. And of course it was easy!

Rhonda B

• Susan East More

First of all I lover it. I've never priced copper tubing. What is the Diameter of the tubing? How much is the tubing a foot and how many feet did you use?
    • Susan East More

Just one more question. Do you leave yours out during the winter months. We are in a snow belt and get tons of snow.
      I would imagine it shouldn't hurt being out.
  • Jen

Beautiful, and well done! Please excuse me if I've missed it, but I've been wanting to make a copper rain chain & would like to know how you did it & where you found your materials.
    happy gardening : )
  • MsSueToo

Very cool and unique !! I was wondering why you call it a "Rain Chain" ? I've never seen or heard of them before, but can't wait to make one. I love the fact that the design of it is unique to you. Thanks for sharing this Great Idea !!

• Kim

Hometalk made a mistake when they called this a rain chain. It's Garden Art.

• Terre Tulsiak

I'm going to try it too only with one connected to a water pump and recirculating it to a covered receptacle. (We'll see how long it takes to evaporate and burn out the pump)

• Carol Cole

I love it , it is pretty.