Rhonda B
Rhonda B
  • Muscatine, IA

DIY Copper Garden Art From Copper Tubing

I love the look of copper in the garden-so much so that I have made a few different pieces for my garden and also a rain chain. I like to use copper tubing because it is flexible and I can manipulate it any way that I want. The added bonus is that it is beautiful and elegant.
I created this recently from a roll of copper tubing, some concrete and an old nursery pot:
DIY copper garden art
DIY copper garden art
Here is a picture of the first one I created a few years ago:
DIY copper garden art
DIY copper garden art
These pieces of garden art are extremely easy to create-you just need to use your imagination and find your artistic side. I have condensed the instructions here but if you stop over at my blog I have detailed instructions and photos.
For this project you will need:
1. An old nursery pot (I think this is a 3 gallon size) and a roll of duct tape.
2. A bag of concrete mix-any will do. I use Quikrete. Also a tub to mix the concrete in.
3. A roll of copper tubing (I picked this one up at Menards it is enough for a couple of projects)
4. A pair of tin snips or pipe cutter.
5. A tape measure (optional)
Here are the steps to create your garden art:
1. Use the duct tape to cover the holes in the bottom of the nursery pot.
2. Roll out the tubing and cut into the length you desire. For mine I cut them into 6 foot lengths. Just a note-I like to work in odd numbers so I cut 5 lengths for this project.
diy copper garden art from copper tubing, crafts, landscape
3. Mix up the bag of concrete according to the package directions.
4. Let the concrete sit for a few minutes to hydrate then add to the nursery container.
5. Let the concrete sit for a few minutes then start inserting the copper tubing into the concrete like this:
6. In order to hold the tubing in place I use a nylon tie at the top:
7. Let sit for a week (if you use regular concrete) to cure.
8. After the concrete has cured you can cut the nylon tie:
9. Use your hands to gently bend and guide the tubing-do not bend to sharply. This will cause a crimp. Always bend slowly.
Now start on the next one:
Just continue to bend each piece to achieve the look you want. Just remember that this is your piece of art-it does not need to be perfect.
After I had it the way I wanted it I did solder a few of the areas together just to be sure it was sturdy.
10. Cut off the pot.
11. Find a spot in your garden.
12. Dig a hole and plant your piece of art.
13. Sit back and enjoy your own piece of art:-))
I hope you try this project out-you can create your own original art work that you will love and your neighbors will admire. And of course it was easy!

Rhonda B

• Susan East More

First of all I lover it. I've never priced copper tubing. What is the Diameter of the tubing? How much is the tubing a foot and how many feet did you use?
    • Steve

The copper tubing is 1/4". It's used for hooking up your ice maker and you can buy it at HD or Lowes in a 25' roll. I don't know the price offhand.
    • Susan East More

Just one more question. Do you leave yours out during the winter months. We are in a snow belt and get tons of snow.
      I would imagine it shouldn't hurt being out.
  • Jen

Beautiful, and well done! Please excuse me if I've missed it, but I've been wanting to make a copper rain chain & would like to know how you did it & where you found your materials.
    happy gardening : )
    • Kim

Hometalk made a mistake when they called this a rain chain. It's Garden Art.

• Susan

And he said he got his copper at Menards.

• MsSueToo

Very cool and unique !! I was wondering why you call it a "Rain Chain" ? I've never seen or heard of them before, but can't wait to make one. I love the fact that the design of it is unique to you. Thanks for sharing this Great Idea !!

• Kim

• Michelle

Great job! Loved it so much I decided to make one myself. I followed your directions. My hubby kept saying "that's not how they did it in the post" (with the curve & flow of the tubing). And I always replied "I don't care this is MY art". 😊 I love how it turned out even though I had one slight crimp. I want to make another one. We started with 1 straight five-foot piece in the center and 4 seven-foot pieces to curve & bend. Thank you for the idea/inspiration.

• Terre Tulsiak

I'm going to try it too only with one connected to a water pump and recirculating it to a covered receptacle. (We'll see how long it takes to evaporate and burn out the pump)