DIY Window Mullions

$20

My goal for the exterior of our home was for it to look like a sweet, cozy cottage. Buying new windows just isn’t in the budget, so I decided to recreate a look that I love with the windows we already have.

diy window mullions

Here’s a shot of the windows before we started the project.

diy window mullions

Before we really even started I decided to use some 1/2” masking tape to mark the lines and give us a better idea of weather or not this was something we really wanted to do.

diy window mullions

After a day or two of having the tape up I decided it was go time.

I purchased 4- .75”x.25”x7’ window/door trim pieces from lowes and painted them the same color as our window frame.

The back side that is up against the glass I painted black to match the inside of the window.

(This window is very old.. it was silver metal and because replacing it isn’t an option yet I opted for painting it which is why it’s two different colors.)

diy window mullions

We cut the wood to size and measured each section individually to make sure it fit just right.

To attach it to the window we used e6000 glue and painters tape to hold the wood in place while the glue hardened.

diy window mullions

After about 6 hours, I removed the tape and used a straight edge razor to remove any excess glue that seeped out of the edges.

diy window mullions

All in all I am thrilled with the results. If buying new windows isn’t an option but you like this look, I highly recommend trying this! It’s added just the right cottage charm to our home and it makes a great backdrop for pretty flowers.

diy window mullions

diy window mullions

• Robyn Garner

Mullions are ordinarily on the inside of the window. Was there a reason you chose to put them on outdoors? How have they held up to the weather? Looks beautiful!

• C Crow

Looks beautiful! Would love to do it but I need to figure out a way to remove for washing. Any ideas?

• V

How do the windows look from the inside? Does the glue show against the black paint on the mullions from the inside? If you want them off, is that glue hard to get off?

It looks great from the outside!

• Nikki | thebuckbungalow

In my opinion they look great from the inside! Unless you really look closely, you don’t see the glue. As far as taking them off, it could probably be done with a razor between the wood and the window. I’m not positive, so don’t quote me on that haha.

we plan to replace the windows eventually, so I wasn’t worried about having to take them off. Hope that helps 😊

• Alma

I think it’s beautiful but the flowers are prettier!

• Lisa

Looks great. Just wondering the color of paint/brand on your front door.