Mid Century Modern Dresser Reimagined

$30

Most furniture I work on is mid century modern from the 50's and 60's. I try to salvage/expose as much woodgrain as possibe but due to their age sometimes they are damaged and painting becomes the only option to save them and give them new life!

This dresser had great lines and style but was made of cheap laminate all around, so to make it the best it can be in 2019, I painted it.

Before
Before

First step was to wipe off the dresser and clean all spider webs. It had plenty of those...yikes 🕷🕸

I used this primer
I used this primer
1st coat of primer
1st coat of primer

I applied 2 coats of primer with a foam roller.

mid century modern dresser reimagined

I find that frogtape works best with the minimal amount of bleed through, thus requires minimal to no finishing touches afterwards.

Design taped, let the gold spaying begin

I made sure to cover the areas that I didn't want to spray. While I have pretty good aim some will get on the already painted side unless you cover it. It takes some extra time but truts me its worth it! Otherwise you'll have to apply another coat of white...

Gold spray used in the project
Gold spray used in the project

I applied a clear polyurethane semi gloss coat on the top of the dresser for a durable finish! Once everything dried, I put the door and hardware back and was excited to finally stage the dresser. Staging is probably one of my favorite parts and very important one! A perfectly staged piece will be pleasing to the eye and buyers will be drawn to it instantly .

Tada! Another piece is saved!
Tada! Another piece is saved!

Semi gloss latex paint used in the project
mid century modern dresser reimagined

Foam rollers will give you a smooth finish without visible brush strokes. I usually use water based paint, So after a project is done I wash them and reuse them. So a 5 pack will go a long way!

Fast drying durable water based clear coat

• D

Really sharp! I'm curious why everyone puts a poly over paint? You used a semi-gloss. Why did it require poly too?

• Andrea Palmai

i just want to make sure that it is long lasting and the paint doesn't chip. I only put poly on the top of the dresser where it gets the most usage. That way you can clean the top without worrying about damaging the paint

• D

Great! Makes sense. Ty!

• Gloria

Very well done.

• Doris Ann

Absolutely beautiful piece. I just love it.

• Lou

I am so copying this idea!!! (Well, a similar design). 😁

Absolutely LOVE it!!!!