Asked on Aug 3, 2019

How can I upcycle these (pic attached)?

DebChe30001531Thea
+9

They are made of hard, rigid plastic. There’s no recycling code on them. Any ideas of a new purpose for them before I toss them out?

• Nicki Petruzzella Kerns
    Nicki Petruzzella Kerns

My first thought was candy molds but 1) I don't know if those are food-safe and 2) if they're rigid you won't be able to pop them out.

Why not treat the underside like a big rubber stamp and use them to create a really fun and colorful polka dot pattern on a wall, floor or a piece of furniture? They might make a nice pencil, crayon or marker holder too.

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

Hi Ann,

What are they from?

• Leesbike
    Leesbike

Use for pen or pencil holder if deep enough.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Storing paint brushes for crafts, or crayons, markers, etc.

• Deb
    Deb

Check with the ammo manufacturer to see if the plastic is food safe. There is usually someone in the offices who knows.

It's so hot these days, I was thinking they might be good for making small ice cubes for water bottles.

If you sew, and they aren't food safe, use them for the bottoms of bags, trunk organizers or storage containers. I know they are kind of deep (or maybe you could slice them thinly... I couldn't because I don't have the equipment), but it would add stiffness.

Or you could use them for moulds for papier mache, concrete (make garden sculpture of some kind), clay or soap.

Good luck with your reuse.

• Deb
      Deb

When it's time to remove the ice sticks/cubes (whatever you wanna call 'em) turn it over and run under or soak in a shallow container of

warm water. The ice should just slide out.

• Thea
    Thea

As a holder for cake pops whilst decorating them or things that are on sticks eg. children's’ party snacks.

Or you could use as stamps mentioned above. Or as a paint palette for a project requiring a small amount of paint. Or what about storage for smudgy pastel crayons?

• Che30001531
    Che30001531

If used for ammo, they're not food safe! If you can't reuse, maybe you can take them to a gun shop or shooting range and see if they can recycle or return to vendor. Just my $.02.

• Ann
      Ann

Yeah, since ammo usually contains lead, don’t think one would want to put food near these!

• Deb
    Deb

Just curious... does lead seep into plastic?