Step by Step Drop Cloth Curtain Tutorial

$55

I believe we all want to make our homes beautiful and it can become very stressful at the cost of how expensive home decor can cost.

I’m here to show you a cheap , no sew curtain that’s gorgeous!!!!!

No sewing, no hassle. I love these so much and I will probably use them in our home forever. If you’ve never tried drop cloth curtains, I’d definitely suggest giving them a go. You just can’t go wrong at $11 for two curtain panels! Since they are canvas I actually think they’re a bit heavier than your typical curtain. They’re certainly not black-out curtains, but they still do a great job when it comes to keeping light out. They are AWESOME. I hope this step by step drop cloth curtain tutorial was helpful.

step by step drop cloth curtain tutorial

Materials

1. 9x6 drop cloth (Amazon or Home Depot
  2. Curtain Ring with Clips (Amazon)

How To:

1. lay drop cloth
  2. cut down center of fabric and pull down the seem to divide in half

Cut down middle where seam is and pull

Soak in water and bleach for eight hours...

1. Iron if desired ( I sprayed mine with febreeze and in 3 days they where wrinkle free)
  2. add four clips on to curtain (have the cut seam go toward wall and clean cut toward window) and hang

Straight Curtain Style
Straight Curtain Style

White Curtain Look

1. fill washer or tub with hot water (large load) add 1/2 gallon of bleach
  2. let cloth sit in mix for 8 hours
  3. run wash after 8 hours
  4. delicate dry or air dry

folded over curtain style
folded over curtain style

Eliscia

• Ter34085980

Please describe how far apart you placed the rings, illustrate in detail the cut you made to the cloth (does in completely separate the panel?), length of the foldover valance, and ratio of window width to panel width so it drapes/hangs properly? Thanks

• Eliscia

I eye balled it. I can measure tomorrow for you. The cloth has a seam down the center you cut from.

• Lisa

I’m wondering if the drop cloth can be dyed for a different color?

• Janice

Absolutely, the drop cloth could be dyed. You could also use paint if you want a specific design or stripes, etc.

• Lisa

Thank you!

• Barb in Texas

I did ice dye, but my problem is how to find a curtain rod for a bay window without spending a fortune.

• TW

And you can also use a stencil to paint a design.

• AKP

Late in response, but we dyed our dropcloth about 5 years ago, Rit fabric dye I believe. We followed the directions on the bottle, using a plastic storage tub as our container and a 1x1 piece of wood for our stir stick!

• Laura L Fonner

As you look at above pics, you can see how they used pvc pipe, painted and clamped to the wall. The pic shows an elbow to connect pipes together to go on another wall or two lol

• Angela Cave Walker

Im sure it could. I was thinking the same thing.

• BonBon

I have 90” from my ceiling to floor. Are drop cloths long enough to accommodate? Thank you.

• TW

The panel used was 6' x 9'....in inches 72" x 108".

• Rosy

Drop cloths are available at Home improvement stores and also at Harbor Freight and they come in several different sizes.

• Ticia

I've always loved the idea of doing this but wondered would they be thick enough to be sun blocking; summers in the south are brutal and we get a lot of sun.

• Mom2K9

Curtains are great. Dog is AWESOME!!

• Bethany Allen

Just covered a headboard in canvas drop cloth and painted it. It dawned on me yesterday that I should make the curtains from this drop cloth as well! I’m going to paint them to match and I bet that will help with sun coming in tremendously.