DIY Painted Rug

$20

When hunting for the perfect rug for my son's room, I kept coming up short in the style and budget categories. Better said I didn't have enough money to match my style. So I created a modern rug pattern using tape and paint (well primer because that's all I had on hand).

diy painted rug

Nothing special to see with the before. I grabbed one of those cheap single color rugs you see everywhere for $20. Walmart or Big Lots is a great place to look.

There are two different naps. Get the one with the loops versus the on with the plush texture. The softer texture one soaks up a lot more paint.

diy painted rug

Determine your pattern first. An easy way to do this is by drawing it out on a sheet of paper. Then measure where you want to put your pattern. I used simple modern stripes and wasn't too concerned about centering, but the sky's the limit for your design.

I like to take short cuts so instead of measuring every line, I added layers of tape then removed the extra tape to reveal my pattern.

I also suggest choosing a simple pattern. You don't want an entire rug painted with latex because it will be a bit scratchy underfoot.

diy painted rug

For crisp lines, press tape strips firmly onto the carpet.

diy painted rug

Paint your pattern with gentle strokes. Don't apply too much pressure and follow the seam of the tape. Going against the tape edge will cause seepage.

diy painted rug

Allow your first coat to dry and add a second coat.

diy painted rug

Remove the tape when your second coat is still wet. This will give you a crisp line.

diy painted rug

Stand back and admire your work! This rug is super cute and takes little effort. I had all the supplies on hand and just needed to buy the rug. While this isn't a super high end look, it's great for kids rooms and playrooms and perhaps even a door entry.

You can check out all my tips on how I decorate for next to nothing by reading my free guide.

Kenyatta Harris

• Alisa Lyles

this is such a great and inexpensive way to get a new rug I truly hate shopping for rugs I’m wanting to change the color of my decor from red to grey but am having a very hard time finding a rug that my partner and I both agree on so your ideal is wonderful but my question is did you mean to remove the tape after the second coat is applied

• Alisa Lyles

Thank You I’m going to give it a try. Thank You so much for sharing this