How can I cover up an ugly door in a rental apartment?

+5

Hey Hometalkers!I live in a railroad-style apt in NYC, which technically has 2 front doors: one that we use, in the kitchen/living room, and one in the bedroom. How can I cover it up without making my bedroom look like a college dorm room (aka posters or hippie tapestry)?

q cover up ugly door in rental apt
q cover up ugly door in rental apt
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Aug 06, 2019

What about a panel of removable wallpaper that looks attractive?

• Deb K Deb K on Aug 06, 2019

Hi Olga this link is cool, but I have attached other ideas as well

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/decorating-to-hide-unsigh_b_14524390

How about a simple curtain or valence rod and a plain (solid color of your choice) curtain panel which will create the look of a faux window

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Aug 06, 2019

For starters paint the door and frame the same color as the wall to help it blend in. Then put photos or artwork on the door (treating it like the surrounding walls) to further camouflage.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Aug 06, 2019

If you can get permission to paint, that would be nice. If not, perhaps contact paper, washi tape, or removable wallpaper.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Aug 06, 2019

Curtains would really do a great job !

• Flipturn Flipturn on Aug 07, 2019

If you move the dresser over to the right a little, will it cover or hide the entire bottom part of the door?

If so, then you have only the top part to contend with.

My suggestion is use a canvas wall art, large enough to cover the top half of the door. The lightweight style can be purchased fairly inexpensively and does not require robust hardware to hang up over the top of the door frame

• Flipturn Flipturn on Aug 07, 2019

If you don't want to continue using the dresser here, then I would suggest purchasing a canvas the same size as the door, and cover it with a 3D sticker/ vertical wall mural.

• Claimorr Claimorr on Nov 26, 2020

It's a not big problem. You can hang a large tapestry. Or cover the doors with posters. Or you can draw something on your door. I saw on Instagram many things of this kind. And the result was beautiful doors. When I was renting a 5 bedroom luxury apartment east side Manhattan and I painted doors too. It turned out very nice. I have an apartment in bright colors. And the drawing on the door was striking. It actually looks very nice. You can search the Internet for various sketches to draw.