Asked on Aug 7, 2019

How can I clear a slow-draining bathroom sink drain?

MargeKathy Gunter LawCheryl Williamsen
+2

How do I clear a slow draining bathroom sink?

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Sherrie, I would unscrew the trap first and clear that out as best you can. After that, if the trap isn't the part that's clogged then you may want to consider draino.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Use a sink unblocker liquid from the store. You could try to get a Vac. by placing a jar over the plughole whilst running water. Pump the jar up and down, and then pull away. Repeat as necessary.

• Cheryl Williamsen

If you don’t want to take apart the trap, buy a plastic hair removal “stick” & pull out the hair stuck in the drain.

Then I would use a soap scum cutter like CLR.

If you decide to pull the trap, after all this, then you’ll need to run a lot of hot water through the drain to get the CLR diluted, so that you don’t get it splashed on you.

Wear gloves & have a big dishpan under the drain assembly- it will be messy.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Remove as much as possible with a snake or drain cleaning tool. Pour ½ cup baking soda then ½ cup white vinegar in the drain and cover, letting sit for 20 minutes. Boil water, remove cover, and pour water down the drain. You may have to repeat the process.

• Marge

Buy a bottle of Pequa in Home Depot or hardware store. It works great.