How to Make Stunning Cross Stitch Decor With a Pegboard

$15

We’ve all been in that situation where we have decorated a room, only to then be unsure as to what might work best on the walls. While one solution may be to search countless shops for the wall art that suits the space, another may be to simply make your own.

This DIY project is all about using pegboard and yarn to create some cross stitch wall decor in just a few easy steps. Furthermore, while this specific project may be focused on creating the US flag, I'm sure it will offer food for thought if you’re planning to create other designs too.

Tools and Materials

• Pegboard (48in x 24in)
  • A level
  • A pencil
  • Painter's tape
  • Blue paint
  • Light blue paint
  • Red and white yarn
  • Crochet needle
  • Gorilla glue
  • Border

Step 1: Gather Your Materials

There is only one place to start when you’re working on this project and that is to ensure you have everything you need to make the cross stitch decor a reality. For me, this meant heading to a hardware store to buy the all-important pegboard, which measured 48 inches by 24 inches. You will also need a host of other supplies, including a couple of paints, glue, and yarn for the stitching element.

Step 2: Measure Out Your Design

Once you’re sure you have all of the materials that you require, it is time to measure and mark out the cross stitch decor design you intend to create on the pegboard. I was making the US flag, so I used a pencil and a level to mark out the small square in the top-left corner of the board, which would feature the white stars. The rest of the board is of course where the red and white stripes will go.

Step 3: Tape Off Sections of the Board

When the basic design is marked out on the pegboard in pencil, you should begin to mark it out more prominently with tape before starting to paint the board. I used durable blue painter’s tape for this part of the project, as it created very clear lines that ensured my painting efforts would remain neat and neither of the paints I used would bleed onto the wrong side of the board.

Step 4: Paint

Next, you need to begin painting your marked-up pegboard. I used a dark blue paint in the small square for the stars and then contrasted that with a lighter blue in the larger section of the flag. The reason I opted for that shade on the main part of the board was that I knew it would mean my cross stitched white stripes would stand out impressively. When the painting is complete, you can remove the painter’s tape and leave the board to dry.

Step 5: Start Cross Stitching Stars

Now it is time to start creating your cross stitch wall decor design and – in my case – that meant making the stars for the US flag. I attached my white yarn to a crochet needle and made a diagonal on the front of the board, before then creating a cross and making a tight knot on the back to secure the yarn. I then continued by making rows of crosses – the ‘stars’ – across the dark blue section of the board until they were complete.

Step 6: Cross Stitch Stripes

The next stage of the cross stitch decor project is to create the stripes for the US flag. In my project, I opted to do two rows of red cross stitching followed by two rows of white until the board was completely covered. You should follow the same process as you did when creating the stars and also ensure that there is no spacing between your white and red rows. Also, don’t forget to make sure the stitches are properly secured. This part of the project is so exciting, as it is the point when you can really see your creation start to take shape.

Step 7: Attach the Border

Adding a border to your cross stitch wall decor will give it the perfect finishing touch and ensure that it looks the part when you hang it in your home. I added the border by applying gorilla glue all around the outside of the pegboard and then placing the materials on top. I chose to clamp the finished pegboard once this step was complete, as this ensured that the border would bind securely to the completed cross stitch decor design.

Step 8: Hang Your Work

Now for the all-important final step, getting your exciting new piece of wall art up in your property. The finished pegboard project was very heavy, so I would advise fixing it to the wall with some screws so that you have some guarantee that it will remain secure. Once that is done, you can step back and admire just how good your cross stitch decor now looks on your wall. I was absolutely delighted with the finished result.

Finding the right wall art for your home is not always a straightforward process, but this project is a great option if you want to give your home a more rustic, craft oriented feel.

Cross stitch is a simple way to bring vibrant and stylish designs to life and pegboard can be the ideal canvas for all kinds of creations. Tell us what you think of this project by commenting below. I’d also love to see and hear about any cross stitch wall decor ideas you may have recently brought to life too!

• Cynthia Mayo

What was used for the border?

• Sue

I will try this project but I have two questions. the first is why did you decide on 21 stars and the other is what type of border did you use?

• Susan Kimmer

can this be made smaller to use as a door hanging? I live in an apartment and can’t really screw things to the wall.