Easy to Build Stencil Planter Boxes

$30

It's never too late in the year to build planter boxes! I built a few of these planter boxes using cedar fence pickets and lined them with hardware cloth plus weed barrier to keep the soil in. I also used a stencil and exterior paint on the outside to make it a bit more decorative! I have several and have planted tomatoes, herbs, and potatoes in them with much success!

I cut pieces of the fence pickets and nailed them to 2x2s used as legs for the ends of the boxes.

I nailed longer pieces of the fence pickets to the legs to make the sides. I laid a stencil on what would become the front and used exterior paint to make a pretty, modern flower design.

I stapled a piece of 1/4" x 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth on the inside at the bottom to hold the soil in and so that the bottom could have good drainage.

I then stapled weed barrier on the inside of the planter over the hardware cloth to help keep the soil in the box.

I love these planters and have had them for a couple of years - they've held up so well! They take about 2-3 bags of soil to fill and I top them off with mulch. See the blog post for a full tutorial!

13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
15 Memorial Day Crafts
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Cher @ Designs By Studio C

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

Where's the finished piece???

• Gail
    Gail

I"ve always liked the idea of adding legs to avoid bending/kneeling(my own don't do that so well anymore). Do you know the maximum dimensions and soil weight the 2x2's would hold without breaking? Thanks.

• Hi, Gail!

Unfortunately, I do not. I do know that I used two bags of soil and the hardware cloth (stapled to the bottom at the underside) is holding well after a few years. As long as the lumber used for the legs isn't rotting, they will hold a lot of weight. I hope this helps!

• Jinxx
    Jinxx

I’m trying to figure out the dimensions of the piece you have pictured here that would take “two bags” to fill, and also wondering what size bags. It probably says but I’m not getting it. Can you point me in the right direction? I really like the look, and actually have the time to take on a project or two. Many thanks!