Easy to Build Stencil Planter Boxes

$30

It's never too late in the year to build planter boxes! I built a few of these planter boxes using cedar fence pickets and lined them with hardware cloth plus weed barrier to keep the soil in. I also used a stencil and exterior paint on the outside to make it a bit more decorative! I have several and have planted tomatoes, herbs, and potatoes in them with much success!

I cut pieces of the fence pickets and nailed them to 2x2s used as legs for the ends of the boxes.

I nailed longer pieces of the fence pickets to the legs to make the sides. I laid a stencil on what would become the front and used exterior paint to make a pretty, modern flower design.

I stapled a piece of 1/4" x 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth on the inside at the bottom to hold the soil in and so that the bottom could have good drainage.

I then stapled weed barrier on the inside of the planter over the hardware cloth to help keep the soil in the box.

I love these planters and have had them for a couple of years - they've held up so well! They take about 2-3 bags of soil to fill and I top them off with mulch. See the blog post for a full tutorial!

Cher @ Designs By Studio C

• Elizabeth

Where's the finished piece???

• Gail

I"ve always liked the idea of adding legs to avoid bending/kneeling(my own don't do that so well anymore). Do you know the maximum dimensions and soil weight the 2x2's would hold without breaking? Thanks.

• Hi, Gail!

Unfortunately, I do not. I do know that I used two bags of soil and the hardware cloth (stapled to the bottom at the underside) is holding well after a few years. As long as the lumber used for the legs isn't rotting, they will hold a lot of weight. I hope this helps!