Can I put a plastic tree near outdoor lighting?

+9

I have an artificial tree with very thin rubber leaves. I want to put outside with mini light under narrow eave. Water hardly gets there even in storms & light snow. I will have it on less than 2 hours. Will it burn?

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Aug 07, 2019

make sure they are LED bulbs/lights they do not heat up

• William William on Aug 07, 2019

Make sure the lights are plugged in a GFCI outlet or an outdoor extension cord.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! on Aug 07, 2019

It could fade over time as all plastic tends to do, you can try this product as it says it can be used on silk flowers - https://amzn.to/31sQB8r

• Laura Laura on Aug 07, 2019

Thank you everyone. I plan to keep an eye on it every day. I love Hometalk for all the info and advice. You are all friends.

• See 1 previous
    • Laura Laura on Aug 11, 2019

Thanks this is what I needed to know. Light are on only about 1 hr. I do appreciate your response.

• Deb K Deb K on Dec 17, 2020

Hi Laura, is this an incandescent bulb or an LED bulb, LED do not get hot hot, but that being said, as long as the bulb is not touching the plant you should be fine.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 18, 2021

Hi Laura: If you have the cool lights, it should be o.k. Make sure they are for use outside. Perhaps put the lights along the stems and trunk instead of the leaves. The package should say what not to put them on, but I think you should be o.k.. One thing you can do is to turn them on and let them stay on for about 1/2 hour and then hold them to see if they are hot :) That should give you some sort of idea as to the heat they throw off.

Good luck