DIY Modern Chair Design

$50

When shopping for chairs it is common for all of the designs in stores or online to start to look similar to one another and when you are interested in finding a statement piece for your home, this can be frustrating. One way to find a chair with character and style that is uniquely yours is to build it yourself! I used a contemporary style mix of metal and wood to create a museum-worthy modern chair design for my home and could not be happier with the finished product.
DIY Modern Chair Design

You Will Need:

• Square tubular steel 
  • Welder
  • Saw
  • Angle grinder
  • Sanding sponge
  • Paint and brush
  • Drill
  • Self-tapping screws
  • 90-degree angle brackets
  • Chair glides
  • Clear spray sealant

Step 1: Measure and Cut Steel for Top and Base

My first step was to measure and cut out the steel pieces I needed to create my modern chair design. I cut pieces for the base and top as well as the diagonal supports. All 10 of my pieces were cut at a precise 45-degree angle. 8 pieces were for the top and base, and two pieces were for the diagonal supports. The dimensions must be measured carefully to get the base constructed correctly and to keep the seat level.
Cut Steel for Top and Base

Step 2: Build the Base and Top

I welded together four pieces to form a rectangle that would create the base of the modern chair design. I welded each piece together at each inside and outside corner. I then repeated the process exactly for the top seat support.

Step 3: Grind Welds Smooth

I used an angle grinder to smooth out the four corner welds I just created and the result was two level, continuous, rectangles.
Grind Welds Smooth

Step 4: Weld Diagonal Supports

I welded the two diagonal supports to the top and bottom rectangles. I placed one support on each side and joined it to the opposite side on the bottom. The look of the diagonal metal supports is a great option for a modern chair design.
Weld Diagonal Supports

Weld Diagonal Supports

Step 5: Paint

I used a brush and painted the now-assembled welded steel frame with black paint. Use a paint designed for use on metal. Once the paint was dry, I sanded away any brush strokes.
paint the now-assembled welded steel frame

Step 7: Add Hardware to Frame

I installed 90 degree metal brackets onto the inside of each short end of the top rectangle with self-tapping screws. I chose the raised platform for the wood seat to rest on in keeping with the modern chair design I had in mind. I also installed four chair glides to the underside of the bottom rectangle with self-tapping screws.

Step 8: Cut, Glue, and Clamp to Build Seat

I cut a piece of furniture quality wood that I had on hand into 3 equal blocks and joined them. I applied wood glue to each piece lined up side by side and then used a clamp to hold them firmly together while the glue dried. You could also use a custom cut wood block or other material for the seat. 

Step 9: Sand Seat

I used a hand sander to smooth the wood seat taking care to remove any excess glue and make any seams less visible.

Step 10: Seal or Stain Wood Top

I sprayed a clear protective finish on the wood seat and let it dry. I chose clear to bring out the natural grain and color of the wood as part of the desired modern chair design I was trying to achieve.

Step 11: Attach Seat to Base

After the spray was dry, I placed the wooden seat on top of the 90-degree brackets and attached it with wood screws from the underside. This gives the seat the appearance of floating and aligns perfectly with the modern chair design I intended.
This amazing modern chair design would cost hundreds of dollars in a high-end furniture store and I enjoyed making such a beautiful and unique addition to my home. The chair would also make an incredible accent table when seating isn’t in high demand. Follow this tutorial to create an iconic chair or accent table in your own living space! 
Do you share a love of creating furniture and imagining uniquely designed pieces for your home? Share your tips for DIY furniture building and get inspired by other modern designed chair and table ideas at Hometalk!

• HFredda

DIY’ER:

Looks so contemporary. Love the floating element!

*Existing* equipment/machinery helps lower the project budget. A experienced skill set helps too!!

Hobby to business for you? 🤔🙂

• Lynne

totally awesome!!