Beadboard Ceiling

$250

We added a room to the house using part of the garage and part of the laundry room but when it came time to do the ceiling, there where too many uneven parts and it was hard to cover with texture so we decided to use beadboard (tongue and groove pine panels from Home Depot).

To level the floor, we had to make like a deck framing under the plywood.

After making the walls and moving the washer and dryer to a different location, we put the doors and proceeded to put sheetrock.

And then to cover all the imperfections from the ceiling, we decided to put beadboard. We did put texture on the walls first but I don't have pictures of that.

The first two pieces were the toughest but after that, it becomes easier.

Here is hubby on a roll...

It took two days to do it all.

Then came the stain which I did myself with a sponge and hubby and his friend put the trim around the edges.

All done. I love how it looks. Now, all we needed was the carpet which they installed the following weekend.

Here it is all done.

Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own

• JoeAnna Taylor

Would it not be easier to stain boards BEFORE NAILING to the ceiling?

• Donna Ohanian

For future remodelers- Pine shrinks & expands, so when this shrinks on a dry winter day, white stripes will be seen. Been there, done it also. You absolutely stain first, and touch up any edges that need it later. Another no, no is staining across multiple boards. Yikes! Stain is done the length of one board or two, at a time. You can see all the dry edges in the picture. Trying to even this out must have been hard. You want 1 wet edge, not a dozen of them. Personally, I would do a whitewash to brighten up the room. Lot of work here, glad you love the results.

• Donna

Looks great, we're doing beadboard on master bath ceiling (& water proofing it)

Why in materials did you mention pressure gun, listing refers you to power washer guns????

Pneumatic as to use with finishing nails would be my choice

• Joe Jones

Real beadboard is already waterproof. This is pine shiplap and it costs about 5x what beadboard costs

• Joe Jones

Is there wood framing under the plywood on the floor? I see you said make like deck framing under it I just don’t see it.

Also you do realize that’s not beadboard correct? Beadboard is normally 4’x8’ panels and has 4” & 1/4” strips cut into it and it comes painted white. You are using pine shiplap

• Gail

I have used this material before. Different lumber sources may call it different things. Mine was about 5-6 inches wide pine board with tongue and groove edges. One side had a beaded board finish, with 2 boards and grooves on each side of the board, bead, 2 inches, bead, 2 inches. So fit together it was tongue and groove beadboard. The other side was what was called carside. it was solid board with beveled edges and fit together tongue and groove fashion. It was solid pine. If you are old enough to remember the old "Woodies" station wagons or suburbans with the wood panel sides that is what it was like. I used the carside showing for a ceiling. I white washed it rather than stain as i wanted it lighter and brighter. I love it and get many compliments. Still it is different than shiplap that I am familiar with as shiplap is tongue and groove but without the beveled edge.

Beadboard panels are cheap fake beadboard. Let's have a viewpoint from a old woodworker. I am curious to know but i think it is often different places have different names????

• Sara

looks great!

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives

Looks really good but I wouldn't refer to this as beadboard, it has much thinner lines and is often sold in sheets. This is considered tongue and groove pine boards. This is just a tip so viewers know what to ask for when they shop for this product.