Color Inspiration Black Bedroom Feature Wall Without Painting the Wall

$75
1 Day

After giving my bedroom a makeover, I got this crazy idea to make a black feature wall - problem is that I'm a renter and I'm not supposed to paint my walls, or if I do paint, then I need to put it back to white before I move out. I didn't want to have to repaint so I got creative and came up with a way to cover the entire wall to make it black, all without a drop of paint touching the actual wall!

color inspiration black bedroom feature wall without painting the wall

Here's the bedroom before - I liked it but I couldn't get the idea of making the back wall black out of my head! I didn't want to paint the wall, and I couldn't use temporary wall paper because my walls are painted with a matte paint.

So after wondering around the hardware store, I found inspiration when I saw this cardboard to protect floors during construction : ram board. I got the idea to paint the cardboard to make panels and then to stick the panels onto strips of contact paper. I know, crazy!

I wasn't sure if this was going to work but after doing a test, I was so happy to see that my hunch was right and the cardboard took the paint really well.

For the contact paper, I found this matte black adhesive film on Amazon that is removable and safe for walls - I did a test to make sure this was true and it worked perfectly - it removed without leaving any damage to the wall. I cut strips of 5" attached them to the wall spaced out to accommodate 24" panels.

The first tape I tried wasn't strong enough to hold the cardboard but this one that I got on Amazon worked like a charm.

The trickiest part of installing the panels was to make sure that they were straight and evenly spaced out but using tape and a level helped with that.

I love this new look but what I love even more is that I won't have to paint the wall again when I move out and if I get tired of this black wall, I can always paint the entire thing again another color, all without touching the original wall!

You can see the entire project in this video - enjoy!

• Ram board  (Hardware store)
  • Double sided tape  (Amazon)
  • Contact paper  (Amazon)

Engineer Your Space

• Lathie McKinney

I like this project. But if the paper won't damage the wall, why didn't you just put the contact on the wall?

• Joy Pell Cruse

What kind of paint did you use on Ram board? And did it hold up?

• Destiny

Will the contact paper part work if the wall is textured ("orange peel") or does it need to be a smooth wall?