Easy DIY Weaved Wall Hanging

$20

Looking for an easy loose weaving yarn craft? Check out this simple DIY hygge home decor project! This art yarn project is perfect for a boho bedroom wall art piece! The tutorial below is so simple and you have so many options to make your weaved wall art turn out however you want!

easy diy weaved wall hanging

Step 1: Warp the loom by tying a knot at the corner setting it in the first groove. Then, bring the yarn straight down and around the next notch and back up, then across into the next groove. Repeat until all the grooves you need for the width of your project are filled. They MUST be tight!

easy diy weaved wall hanging

Step 2: Begin loosely weaving the loom. Tie your weaving yarn on the yarn at one end, with an over-under pattern.

Side note: When you get to the end of your row with the length you want, tie off the yarn, leaving one to two inches left to back weave into your project.

easy diy weaved wall hanging

Step 3: Add different textures and weaving variations depending on your style and how you see fit! In order to adjust your yarn and shape of the wall hanging later, remember to weave loosely across the warp, but continuously push each row firmly against the last one.

This technique is called tissage inverse, where you weave over and under two strands at once, then cross the yarn through the upper part of the loop.

Another technique is to braid the yarn and fluff it before weaving, that way you can get extra thick, chunky look to add more texture.

easy diy weaved wall hanging

Adding the fringe or rya knots creates a more textured look as well and they’re so simple to do!

First, cut about 15 strands of your neutral yarn about 18″ long.

Find the center of your first bundle and lay it on top of your warp rows. Wrap the end closest to the outer warp row all the way around and pull both ends through the center of the two warp rows.

Adjust so they are centered and gently pull down. Do this all the way across the width of your wall hanging and voila’!

easy diy weaved wall hanging

Step 4: Flip your loom over to back-weave your ends into the warp, that way you don’t get weird pieces hanging off the side.

Step 5: Remove the bottom half of your warp from you loom by cutting and tying the two ends of each notch together.

easy diy weaved wall hanging

Step 6: Once you are finished weaving and you’re ready to hang your weaved wall art, begin sliding the loops at the top of the loom, one by one onto your dowel.

easy diy weaved wall hanging

Step 7: Attach a piece of the cotton yarn from one end to another and you’re ready to hang!

Cassie Benzinger

• Dorothy Sittler

Pardon my ignorance .... where are you getting the loom from?

• Dorothy Sittler

I know a lady that used to make woven curtains. She made a set for my other friend. It was so nice to sleep in that room. The loom was HUGE. I live in a space which would not allow a big one like that. I am glad that they come in smaller sizes. My walls are wanting. hahahaha

• Sunny

Hi, could you explain a little more about creating the fringe? Do you cut each one, then start the next, or weave it across loosely and then cut it to make the fringe? Also, what is step 5? What is the "warp"? I have never done this before, but would love to try it! 😃 Thanks for your help!

• Sunny

Thanks! I think once I start going, it will make better sense. 😉😕😁

• Mary Ann Dean

I believe the word is "woven" -

• Sharon
    13 hours ago

I have white counter tops so would neef to use a color, ,but I love the white so wish I could do something abiut my the countertops, any suggestions