How to Create Fall Outdoor Planters

$50

Fall containers can really make an impact on the curb appeal of your home. They give a pop of color to your doorway and make it inviting for guests. The great thing about fall planters is that they really let you go crazy with color, height and texture.

Putting a fall container together is actually quite easy, it takes three things

• thriller– tallest or impact plant
  • spiller– trails over the planter to soften it
  • filler– just like it sounds, it fills in the rest of the space (usually medium height)

To start, I filled my pot with potting soil leaving about 2 inches from the rim. I also added a slow releasing fertilizer. When using any granular-type fertilizer, spread it on top of bare soil as directed, then cover it with an inch of soil so that the nutrients are exposed to the soil. This will help get them into your plant’s roots easier.

Next, comes the thriller. You can put it in the middle or in the back. I prefer the back to give it height. Then I added low spillers. I always cut about 1/3 of the bottoms off the plants before planting so the roots aren’t so tangled. It helps them take root into the new pot faster.

Now the fillers. These look best when there is contrast between this and your thriller and spiller. Good fillers for fall are mums, pansies, cabbage and violas. I just walked around the nursery and picked plants that screamed fall!

Then I added some other texture to my planters with some artificial grass. I tried to find ones that looked realistic so they would blend in well.

Lastly, I added pumpkins to my pots, which provided a pop of color and a different shape. If you like the look of it tipping, use skewers on the bottom of it to secure it to the pot so they won’t roll out.

For more fun DIY ideas, check out my blog HERE.

30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Memorial Day Crafts
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Pamela - DIY vibes

• Janet

Making holes in the pumkpin will essentially cause them to rot out within a week or two, wouldn’t it?

• Cathy R

Seal around the skewers with a good craft glue or floral glue.....will

prevent rotting for a long time

• Cookie Letner

Oh absolutely I'm going to try this. I have a nice window box on my porch that I cannot wait until I can start ripping out summer and starting fall great idea

• Cathy R

Off to the garden center....love this!!