How to Create Fall Outdoor Planters

$50

Fall containers can really make an impact on the curb appeal of your home. They give a pop of color to your doorway and make it inviting for guests. The great thing about fall planters is that they really let you go crazy with color, height and texture.

how to create fall outdoor planters

Putting a fall container together is actually quite easy, it takes three things

• thriller– tallest or impact plant
  • spiller– trails over the planter to soften it
  • filler– just like it sounds, it fills in the rest of the space (usually medium height)
how to create fall outdoor planters

To start, I filled my pot with potting soil leaving about 2 inches from the rim. I also added a slow releasing fertilizer. When using any granular-type fertilizer, spread it on top of bare soil as directed, then cover it with an inch of soil so that the nutrients are exposed to the soil. This will help get them into your plant’s roots easier.

how to create fall outdoor planters

Next, comes the thriller. You can put it in the middle or in the back. I prefer the back to give it height. Then I added low spillers. I always cut about 1/3 of the bottoms off the plants before planting so the roots aren’t so tangled. It helps them take root into the new pot faster.

how to create fall outdoor planters

Now the fillers. These look best when there is contrast between this and your thriller and spiller. Good fillers for fall are mums, pansies, cabbage and violas. I just walked around the nursery and picked plants that screamed fall!

how to create fall outdoor planters

Then I added some other texture to my planters with some artificial grass. I tried to find ones that looked realistic so they would blend in well.

how to create fall outdoor planters

Lastly, I added pumpkins to my pots, which provided a pop of color and a different shape. If you like the look of it tipping, use skewers on the bottom of it to secure it to the pot so they won’t roll out.

how to create fall outdoor planters

For more fun DIY ideas, check out my blog HERE.

Pamela - DIY vibes

• Janet

Making holes in the pumkpin will essentially cause them to rot out within a week or two, wouldn’t it?

• Cathy R

Seal around the skewers with a good craft glue or floral glue.....will

prevent rotting for a long time

• Cookie Letner

Oh absolutely I'm going to try this. I have a nice window box on my porch that I cannot wait until I can start ripping out summer and starting fall great idea

• Cathy R

Off to the garden center....love this!!