Asked on Aug 10, 2019

How can I protect a straw hat with acrylic painting from chipping?

Quick QuuePaulaPamela Drew
+5

Is there a product I can paint or cover this acrylic paint to protect it from chipping any further? See photo.

• Lynn Sorrell
    Lynn Sorrell

spray it with clear spray on sealer like water based polyurethane

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

Agree with Lynn. Spray clear poly on it.

William

I like Cheryl's suggestion. Any other clear spray is not that flexible. Would also flake off and take the paint with it.

• Pamela Drew
    Pamela Drew

I would recommend modpodge. You must use a paint spunge over flaking very softly and carefully. I work with it alot and it's my go to for things like this. Good luck!

• Paula
    Paula

I just say re spray it would the clear paint up times couple Coats couple of

• Quick Quue
    Quick Quue

Indeed, looks nice, I also love to draw on clothes. Sorry that you ran into the problem of chipping. The most important is to prepare the surface. You can treat it with a special primer, it is sold in art stores. And when the print will be finished and all the paint will dry out you can steam it with an iron to secure the drawing and cover it with Acryl lacquer. As for me, in quarantine, I got carried away to paint by numbers from the photo. Honestly, it is a very fascinating activity, no less interesting than drawings on clothes.