Create a Family Command Center

$100

Hi! It's Jess from Jessica Welling Interiors. This is the time of year I get into an organizing frenzy! I feel like I need to have all my ducks in a row before the kids start school in a few weeks. And with two in school this year, staying on top of the paperwork is going to be that much more important. A couple of years ago I was drowning in school papers and mail, bills, coupons, you name it. I decided it was time to set up a command center. And I'm going to show you how you can too, even if you only have a small wall or even the inside of a cabinet door.

Here's what we had going on before. These pieces got slapped up on the wall when we moved into our current house.

Next, I did some shopping for my command center components. It's a good idea to make a list of everything you need and want in your command center. For me, the whiteboard calendar is the heart of it all and the most essential piece. Next in importance is the mail-sorter. Next the homework and school paperwork sorter. The bulletin boards are nice for hanging invitations, post cards, kid art, etc. The other pieces are non-essential in my opinion, but they're nice to have if you've got the space. As you can see, I arranged everything on the living room floor. It's much easier to adjust things here than once they're on the wall!

I decided to use chalkboard wallpaper as the backdrop to my command center to tie it all together. This paper is still stuck to the wall after two years, which I can tell you now (after using some other brands of peel and stick wallpaper and having my heart broken) is a pretty big deal! The wallpaper comes in rolls, and we used 4 vertical panels. Click on over to my blog for a link to the wallpaper I used!

I traced the outline of where I wanted each piece to go on the chalkboard wallpaper. Then we mounted them on the wall.

That's it! I'm sure we will keep making adjustments as our kids get older and our needs change. For now, this is keeping the paper clutter at bay and making me feel just a little bit more on top of things. For more details and the products I used, visit my blog, Jessica Welling Interiors. You can also check out more back-to-school and family organization projects on my blog. Plus, I'm giving away a FREE kid-friendly design guide right now!

Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Jessica Welling Interiors

• Rosa

I loved your project! Just wondering when using chalkboard markers, do they come off ? I’m using chalkboard paint but don’t know if it will come off.

P.S - the link to your web page does not work ☹️

• Janice

The link works wonderfully now, clicked and went right to the post.

• Marci Mausling Barfknecht

Where did you get the multi file folder thing, the one with the five filers??)

Thanks much!!

• TK

Most office supply stores such as Staples, have them. I have even seen them at some at Dollar Stores.