Faux Kitchen Tile

$20

Here is a fun project to add a faux tile backsplash in your kitchen using a stencil. It only takes a couple of hours but makes a big impact.

PAINT THE WALL WHITE

Before

I wanted to add some interest to my boring coffee bar wall and thought this faux tile project would be perfect.The first step was to paint my wall with a coat of white paint and let it dry completely before proceeding with the stenciling. My backsplash area is 12” in height and I used a 6” stencil so I could stack two complete stencils.

Close up of the stencil

SUPPLIES

Supplies for this project are white paint, black acrylic craft paint, stencil brush, painter’s tape, and of course a stencil. This is the stencil I used J Boutique Stencils Wall Moroccan Tile Stencil T0055 for DIY Wall Decor Furniture Floor Craft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DXRN9RC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_WRdvDbVX019W7

This stencil was so easy to work with because you paint the first row of petals for your next area so you have a guide for where to line up the stencil-no guessing or worrying about not being level.

STENCIL

Use black acrylic paint for the stencil. Make sure you don’t have too much paint on your brush, I tap the excess off on a paper towel before painting. Work in a light circular motion.

First four stencils done! I left a 1 inch border on both ends of my wall because I didn’t want any partial stencils.

I stenciled around the outlet as much as I could.

Half-way there!

FINISHED WALL

It took me about 2 hours to finish the stenciling and I really love how it came out!

You can see more of my fun home projects here. (I've also updated my hardware since I first did this project.)

To see more: https://cottageonbunkerhill.com/hometalk-friends/

• Ka

Jennifer, You did a beautiful wall, and i don't think tile would have been as pretty as that. My question is: The black on the stencils looks darker where you set up your pretty coffee things. Did you put two coats over stencil, or just one? I bought the stencil and love the print. I want to do it somewhere. You are very smart, to do this!

• Johanne Palange

Looks nice, modern, up to date. However, in the picture of the detailing around stencil, I can see that the stenciled lines have bled outside of the stencil. I was wondering if there is any way to prevent that.

• Nancy

I stencil is hand painted and is supposed to look a bit imperfect that's what makes it your own. It's beautiful

• Renata

Is ur wall flat or textured? I've thought about doing this type of thing but my walls r hand textured.