Living Candelier

$20

I found this beautiful iron chandeleier on the Facebook market place for $10! What a steal! The electrical had been cut, so using as a traditional chandelier was not an option, I’ve always wanted a chandelier above my garden tub, which also has no electricity, so this was perfect for that! Some battery operated candles, some terra-cotta saucers, and a few viney plants and this masterpiece is ready to hang! Here’s what you’ll need:

This beauty was too good a deal to pass up!

One chandelier-I see them regularly at my local goodwill and thrift shops

terra-cotta saucers

terra-cotta pots

E-6000 or comparable strong hold glue

hot glue gun

battery operated candles

plants of choice

Start off by removing all the leftover electrical components, the wire that would attach this to the ceiling was already cut so I didn’t have that to remove, but these little guys that the light bulbs were connected to, had to go! A flat head screw driver and some wire cutters and they came right off!

These were porcelain or something of the sort and some of them shattered, I recommend wearing gloves for any and all projects! But use caution if you don’t like to work in gloves! With exposed wire and metal there is potential for cuts and pokes! This was literally the hardest part of the whole project!

I didn’t take the greatest picture of the glue process but I used a combination of E-6000 and hot glue, the hot glue for instant hold to avoid having to tape all these up, and E-6000 for its strong hold to a variety of surfaces. I lined the rim of the chandelier and carefully centered the terra-cotta pot in the position I wanted it to stay in. I held in place for a few moments until I knew the hot glue had set.

I repeated the same process for the saucers!

Once all the glue had set, it’s time to add your plants and candles! I chose to use Pothos, they do well in low light and don’t need to be watered super often! I hung this from my ceiling with a hook that I had laying around, it cane with special anchors made for the ceiling and can hold up to 75 pounds. You’ll want to make sure your hook is strong enough to hold the weight of the fixture you choose.

Of course I had to share the view from sitting in the tub. I’m convinced this is why they call this a garden tub! Hahaha! I hope you enjoyed this quick little project! I would love to see what you come up with! Share with me on Instagram, tag me in your project posts @redsrusticrehabs

• Jodie

It looks like the doors are in a double track so they slide over one and other??

• Spanky

Do you have to take the plants down to give them water? Seems like they would dry ou quickly being so close to the ceiling. And yes I know it's in a bathroom but they will still need watering.

• Red's Rustic Rehab

The comment above is exactly what I did, they are in plastic pots within the teracotta so if I need to thin them out or want to change my plants I can. But yes, you would want to take them down to water if not in a sealed bottom pot. And I opted for a plant that is fairly simple as far as watering go for that very reason. :)

• Audrey kammerude

I want t o know if you have to take it down to turn the candles on - They ARE battery-operated - right?

• Red's Rustic Rehab

They are flameless battery operated, they came with remotes, they also have a switch on the bottom for a timer setting they turn on for 8 hours very 16 I believe?

• Veronica

It’s a very neat idea! Once the vines fill in you can wrap then all around and thru the chandelier. Thanks for sharing!

• Susie

What a cool and beautiful idea! Thanks for sharing.