DIY Wall Accent Molding for $15

$15

I wanted to add some texture and statement to my walls so I went to Home Depot (that’s my go to place for everything) with a $25 gift card and determined to not spend a cent more.. to look for crown moldings, they’re expensive. For me at least..

No brainer ...
No brainer ...

Each of the pine strips of molding I purchased were about $1.50, the cheapest was actually .89c .. the most expensive was $2. I got three styles to make my own design.

diy wall accent molding for 15

The top is a half round, the middle is a embossed one and the third is my favorite.

diy wall accent molding for 15

So I just nailed them to the wall in the order of my desired design.

The vertical strips are $2 poplar.

After they were all nailed, I used wood filler to fill the holes, sanded, then painted.

diy wall accent molding for 15

This is in my daughter’s room and I’m so happy with the results. Now I have the confidence to try the same thing in my kitchen and the rest of my house.. I might just crown mold the entire place with these cheap little cute things.

CONS: they’re not as sturdy as regular crown molding wood, so be careful when cutting or nailing them, they might crack or rip. They’re very light and easily breakable, almost like a giant toothpick.

diy wall accent molding for 15
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Sammy Pampani

• Kay Farquhar Boling
    An hour ago

Can’t you please show a close up of the three pieces where they are all together? And where do you use your favorite trim piece, the third one?