Lynnette Soltwedel
Lynnette Soltwedel
  • Tutorial Team
  • Spartanburg, SC

Mini Buffet Gets a Big New Look

$50

When I saw this cutie for sale, I knew I wanted to save it! I was amazed to find it was up for grabs just a few houses down from us. First time I have found a piece so close to home, and I was quite happy.

mini buffet gets a big new look

Look how adorable! Of course it needs some love, but I knew just what to do.

mini buffet gets a big new look

Step one! Remove the hardware. Just make sure you put it where you can find it easily. 😂 learn from my mistakes. Some pieces need a good cleaning first too, but this one didn’t.

mini buffet gets a big new look

I grabbed my orbital sander, a 120 grit disc and went to town on that top. Slow and steady...once I had all the old finish off, I wiped it off with a rag, switched over to a 220 grit disc and went over it again to ensure a nice smooth finish. I am always extra cautious on areas I plan on staining.

mini buffet gets a big new look

Trust me, use the power sander as much as you can...but know it’s limits and switch over to sanding by hand as needed. The places that will be painted, just need to be “roughened” up so the paint has a good surface to adhere too.

mini buffet gets a big new look

There was one spot on the side that had missing veneer. So sad, but easy enough to repair for some paint. Here you can see the damage, the wood putty, and what it looks like after using the putty.

mini buffet gets a big new look

After sanding and using wood conditioner...all this needed was a clear coat!

mini buffet gets a big new look

I decided to do the same with the two panels as I had the top. Taping them off seemed like a smart idea before I painted around them. Of course, I tend to forget something! I didn’t take a picture while I was painting the legs.

mini buffet gets a big new look

I did remember to take a picture when painting the door though! I ended up opting to paint the little ovals because they just didn’t have that nice wood look I had hoped for, but that middle piece looks great!

mini buffet gets a big new look

Seriously loving these Dixie Belle paints (nope, I am not a paid endorser) and how great the coverage is. Here you can see me painting the “body” of this piece in “gravel road” gray.

mini buffet gets a big new look

One coat of paint...almost all it needed, but a light sanding with fine grit (320 or 400) and a second coat of paint will be up next. After second coat of paint, I went over the piece with Dixie Belle clear coat, satin finish. I used the blue sponge Dixie Belle also sells.

mini buffet gets a big new look

Gold transfer? Yes please! I added one to the door, and one to each of the side panels I chose to stain. Prima transfers are amazing! Just remember to go slow when burnishing and removing clear paper. After applying transfers, another coat of clear coat to seal is needed.

mini buffet gets a big new look

I wanted to add some gold to highlight all the accents, I grabbed some Dixie Belle gilding wax and a brush (you can use your finger if you want). Ooh, look!

mini buffet gets a big new look

Hmm, how about some stripes on the sides? I taped it off, and decided to use the same gilding wax I used on the front. I just brushed it on, and ooohhh...

mini buffet gets a big new look

I also rubbed the hardware with the gilding wax before putting it back on. And here it is....all ready for a new home and many more years of use.

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/nettesemporium/

• Irene Mckay Crowder

Where did you find the paint?

• Lynnette Soltwedel

You can buy it from a local retailer or order from amazon! There should be a link for it at the amazon store under “resources used for this project.”

• Lindy

I see that one of your materials was the Dixie Belle clear coat Gator Hide. What part did you use that material on? It sounds like it would be rough and crackly looking.

• Lynnette Soltwedel

No problem! I recently discovered their (Dixie Belle) products and am totally hooked. There should be a link to purchase via amazon in the supply list. I have been applying it with their blue sponge with great success (no streaking at all).